P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

PianoMan

Silver Supporting Member
Somebody talk me into somehow making room on my board to go from the BlueSky to the BigSky.
If you use reverb minimally, then the Blue Sky is fine. If you do big/long reverbs like so much of P&W, then in my experience there just isn’t a comparison - the BigSky is just in a whole other league than the Blue Sky.

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
It's the strattiest strat that ever did strat! Even the most hardcore of strat devotees will love it!

Ready?

View attachment 601010 View attachment 601012 View attachment 601013 View attachment 601014

I know this would absolutely be MoonshineMan's favorite guitar of all time! It truly is his ideal strat! :roll

Seriously though, I believe I've said before that this guitar was made in honor of my Dad who passed away due to complications caused by ALS just a couple months before I ordered the guitar. Besides being one of my best friends, he was one of my biggest supporters in my music, and came out to every show/church gathering I played that he possibly could.

The obvious homage is the neck plate engraving of his signature and DOB/DOD. Less obvious is the custom inlay. It looks like a nice design (it's actually the Veritas F-hole shape), but for me, that "F" represents family. My Dad grew up in a crappy home, and literally devoted his life to helping others build up their homes (he was a psychologist who specialized in marriage/family counseling), as well as making sure we had a great home life. In the years before he passed, family became such a buzzword for my Dad that we could literally make him tear up by merely saying "Family". (My wife and I actually had contests to see how many times we could make him tear up over a single meal!)

Despite the issues I've had with Veritas in recent months, they are really the only company I know well enough to trust with a build like this - where I'm buying the guitar knowing that I will never sell it. I doubt I would have even considered doing something like this were it not for the ridiculously high quality of my first custom Veritas. I also specced it out to be my desert island guitar. Can't wait to get my hands on it!
That grain is just stunning, and the neck plate and inlay are both really special. Enjoy getting your desert island in hand!
Hey everyone - been a gear nerd who loves Jesus for a long time. I found my people! Just wanted to say I have appreciated reading through the thread and happy to join the community.
Welcome! In my case, the next Helix update will solve it :)

yeatzee

View attachment 600203

Welp, some changes happening. Both the Walrus Audio Ages and the JHS PackRat are out. I liked em, didn’t love em. Snagged a Timmy 15th anni directly from Paul C on Reverb when he had a few up for grabs, forgot how much I love this thing. I knew I wanted a Direct Drive as well, but was also very drawn to the Burn Unit. So…I got both! Except I only have one spot. Hmmm. I messed around with both a bit tonight, and they are VERY different. The Burn Unit seems to be the narrowest scope of tones from all of Barber’s stuff, but it still sounds great.

I also moved out the JHS Kodiak tremolo. I liked it a lot, but I could not get it to play well with the MicroClock when anything else was plugged in. No matter what setting I had for the LEN, as soon as I plugged in the tap patches for the ARP-87 and the Volante, it would set the tempo but then drift up or down to a specific time while the ARP and Volante worked perfectly. Can’t explain it. When it was the only thing plugged into the MC it worked just fine. No idea.

So, I opted for the Monument from Walrus Audio. I figured it would play well with the ARP-87, and sure enough it’s working flawlessly with the MicroClock. I also LOVE the harmonic tremolo option, sounds amazing.

I also have a Chase Tone Secret Preamp coming, and I have negative room on this board with the current configuration. I’m toying around moving either the Deco or Iridium off the board and using them externally. I’m also contemplating a Big Sky. It never ends.
That burn unit is beautiful, shoot that's the first "colorway" i've ever wanted to sell my version of the same pedal for.

TomBombadil

The Eric Johnson strat showed up in the mail today. Thus far I am a big fan. I was disappointed in how my last strat wasn’t quite “stratty” enough, but this is a very stratty strat. This’ll be my “keep forever” guitar.

I feel naughty for not waiting the recommended 24 hours to open a nitro guitar. I like to live on the edge.
9E36263F-0F80-4C3A-98C0-D20B9C7DB458.jpeg

Also, I moved my HX Stomp back to my Pedaltrain Nano+ with a volume pedal, Julianna, and dual footswitch and am going to try to run the WT AC30 tone match patch on Sunday. I’m hoping to set it up to use the 3 switches on the front to toggle gain and reverb settings, upping in intensity, and then the dual switch to have one button that flips it to settings for swells, and the other being the tap/tuner button. I’ll have to play around with it to get it to work the way I want, but I think it should be do-able.

TELEparty

Silver Supporting Member
That burn unit is beautiful, shoot that's the first "colorway" i've ever wanted to sell my version of the same pedal for.
The pictures don’t even do it justice, but here ya go:
B72DAA13-5177-41CE-9EA8-E3857C6DD654.jpeg

1431C608-9893-4CA4-8751-9909A88BB435.jpeg

BEB6FE87-EC3F-4BBF-96A8-A7518C090EF0.jpeg

What the camera doesn’t capture is the sparkle. It’s a very cool black base with this silver/grey sparkle that looks insane. It also helps that I’m a Philadelphia Flyers fan, so I love it even more. One of the coolest looking pedals I’ve seen though. It’s the orange knobs for me.

TELEparty

Silver Supporting Member
Booo... we can no longer be friends.

:rotflmao
Hey man, cut me some slack. My hockey season has been done since like week three AND we got booted down to the fifth pick with the freaking Devils of all teams jumping to second.

Im also sorry your boys had to face the Avalanche round one. My condolences.

PianoMan

Silver Supporting Member
The Eric Johnson strat showed up in the mail today. Thus far I am a big fan. I was disappointed in how my last strat wasn’t quite “stratty” enough, but this is a very stratty strat. This’ll be my “keep forever” guitar.

I feel naughty for not waiting the recommended 24 hours to open a nitro guitar. I like to live on the edge.
View attachment 601261

Also, I moved my HX Stomp back to my Pedaltrain Nano+ with a volume pedal, Julianna, and dual footswitch and am going to try to run the WT AC30 tone match patch on Sunday. I’m hoping to set it up to use the 3 switches on the front to toggle gain and reverb settings, upping in intensity, and then the dual switch to have one button that flips it to settings for swells, and the other being the tap/tuner button. I’ll have to play around with it to get it to work the way I want, but I think it should be do-able.
Very nice! I had one of the original run of EJ strats in college (because Lincoln Brewster was playing one at the time :crazy). Played and sounded great, though I ultimately sold it because the neck got sticky after a short period of use.

He_Ma

It's the strattiest strat that ever did strat! Even the most hardcore of strat devotees will love it!

Ready?

View attachment 601010 View attachment 601012 View attachment 601013 View attachment 601014

I know this would absolutely be MoonshineMan's favorite guitar of all time! It truly is his ideal strat! :roll

Seriously though, I believe I've said before that this guitar was made in honor of my Dad who passed away due to complications caused by ALS just a couple months before I ordered the guitar. Besides being one of my best friends, he was one of my biggest supporters in my music, and came out to every show/church gathering I played that he possibly could.

The obvious homage is the neck plate engraving of his signature and DOB/DOD. Less obvious is the custom inlay. It looks like a nice design (it's actually the Veritas F-hole shape), but for me, that "F" represents family. My Dad grew up in a crappy home, and literally devoted his life to helping others build up their homes (he was a psychologist who specialized in marriage/family counseling), as well as making sure we had a great home life. In the years before he passed, family became such a buzzword for my Dad that we could literally make him tear up by merely saying "Family". (My wife and I actually had contests to see how many times we could make him tear up over a single meal!)

Despite the issues I've had with Veritas in recent months, they are really the only company I know well enough to trust with a build like this - where I'm buying the guitar knowing that I will never sell it. I doubt I would have even considered doing something like this were it not for the ridiculously high quality of my first custom Veritas. I also specced it out to be my desert island guitar. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

That looks great! Also great story, Your father sounds like he was a great man!
Somebody talk me into somehow making room on my board to go from the BlueSky to the BigSky.

I don't know what you have in your board, but I only have one thing to say for you: Cloud mode!

See, it was that easy to talk you into making room for BigSky. I used to have both BlueSky and Flint in my board but changed both those to BigSky and never looked back reverb wise or any other reverb pedals either. Flint trem was nice though.

Berry

Silver Supporting Member
Also, I've noticed that my thumb/wrist is getting significantly better with rest and exercise prescribed by the orthopedist! Gives me hope that I'll actually be able to play at least a little bit when the guitar gets here!
Glad to hear your getting better! I am curious what type of exercises they had you doing.

TELEparty

Silver Supporting Member
If you use reverb minimally, then the Blue Sky is fine. If you do big/long reverbs like so much of P&W, then in my experience there just isn’t a comparison - the BigSky is just in a whole other league than the Blue Sky.

This is the thing. I love using reverb, especially big, long, ambient type stuff. I love the BlueSky for this and didn't even think about the BigSky when I put this rig together. It came out after I had to disband my previous board, so I never really knew much about it. I just knew I loved the BlueSky. An obvious rookie move.

I don't know what you have in your board, but I only have one thing to say for you: Cloud mode!

See, it was that easy to talk you into making room for BigSky. I used to have both BlueSky and Flint in my board but changed both those to BigSky and never looked back reverb wise or any other reverb pedals either. Flint trem was nice though.
It was THAT easy! For real though, here's my current setup:
Board.PNG

I can easily move the Iridium off the board. Since I'm 100% playing at home right now, I can leave it on the desktop and when I'm eventually playing on Sundays again, not a huge deal to have it off to the side by itself. I'll be doing the same with my volume pedal. The real kicker is that I have a Chasetone Secret Preamp on the way, and if I love it, I don't know how I'm going to make it all fit if I opt to upgrade to the BigSky. I either have to shift things around and place it sideways like I did with the Hiz, or remove one of the Deco/Avalanche Run. But I really like both of them. Here is my first proposal for making it work:

new board.PNG

I'll need some kind of riser for the BigSky

PianoMan

Silver Supporting Member
This is the thing. I love using reverb, especially big, long, ambient type stuff. I love the BlueSky for this and didn't even think about the BigSky when I put this rig together. It came out after I had to disband my previous board, so I never really knew much about it. I just knew I loved the BlueSky. An obvious rookie move.

View attachment 601906

I can easily move the Iridium off the board. Since I'm 100% playing at home right now, I can leave it on the desktop and when I'm eventually playing on Sundays again, not a huge deal to have it off to the side by itself. I'll be doing the same with my volume pedal. The real kicker is that I have a Chasetone Secret Preamp on the way, and if I love it, I don't know how I'm going to make it all fit if I opt to upgrade to the BigSky. I either have to shift things around and place it sideways like I did with the Hiz, or remove one of the Deco/Avalanche Run. But I really like both of them. Here is my first proposal for making it work:

View attachment 601920

Risers are easy, and there are multiple great options out there.
1) If you want something metal and don't mind paying, FIX Pedalboards makes some fantastic risers.
2) If you want something cheaper, just run to Home Depot. They have a variety of 3-4' wood strips that are only a couple bucks apiece. Grab one, cut out two pieces that are about the depth of the BigSky, sand a bit, paint it black (if you want it to look a bit nicer), and add velcro/dual lock to each size. Works great!

PistolPete87

I've owned both and the BigSky is definitely worth it. The BigSky has tons more sounds and is much more customizable. I also like having many presets to pull from depending on my needs. Do it and you won't regret it.

michaelscott

View attachment 601906

View attachment 601920

nice to see Barber pedals getting some love!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom