P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

04andrew22

Silver Supporting Member
It’s ok, Andrew. You’re cool and I care that you love it, too
:beer

…but I am gonna need you to post some clips ASAP.

I get self conscious posting clips in here cuz 1) I feel like I never do as good of a job dialing things in as you guys do and 2) my current recording situation with the focusrite isn't ideal and never sounds quite as good as what I hear just monitoring through my pedals' headphone out/my little mixer. But with those caveats made known, I'm gonna try to get some recorded for y'all today/tonight!

dmutter

I get self conscious posting clips in here cuz 1) I feel like I never do as good of a job dialing things in as you guys do and 2) my current recording situation with the focusrite isn't ideal and never sounds quite as good as what I hear just monitoring through my pedals' headphone out/my little mixer. But with those caveats made known, I'm gonna try to get some recorded for y'all today/tonight!

It's easy to get discouraged in comparison to others. But, 1 you have great talent and a great ear, and 2 you can never improve and get better if you don't keep trying. So this is me saying in a loving way, quick making excuses and go ahead and post some clips!

Here, I'll post this from this weekend to help break the ice for ya. Lots of mistakes, not near as cool of a setting or quality of sound as many people here, but this is me playing for one of our sets on the weekend. I've dropped it in the middle of the set, cause it's pretty long. I'm playing the Tele, slumming it with an Iridium. That's my wife singing (with a swollen throat and still sounding legit)

04andrew22

Silver Supporting Member
It's easy to get discouraged in comparison to others. But, 1 you have great talent and a great ear, and 2 you can never improve and get better if you don't keep trying. So this is me saying in a loving way, quick making excuses and go ahead and post some clips!

Here, I'll post this from this weekend to help break the ice for ya. Lots of mistakes, not near as cool of a setting or quality of sound as many people here, but this is me playing for one of our sets on the weekend. I've dropped it in the middle of the set, cause it's pretty long. I'm playing the Tele, slumming it with an Iridium. That's my wife singing (with a swollen throat and still sounding legit)

Thanks daniel -- appreciate the encouragement! Good words, I know you're right.

Just listened through a bit of your clip -- both you and your wife sound fantastic, especially considering she wasn't feeling well! and always love your tones when you post clips :dude

thebeebs

I think I want new pickups for my Tele. I like the neck pickup, but don’t LOVE it. The bridge has always given me a harsh, ice pick feeling. I honestly couldn’t tell you what brand or model pickups they are, unfortunately.

What are y’all using? Standard Tele setup. Give me the goods.
I know you've already gotten some good ideas, but I really like the Cavalier pickups in my partscaster. I got the Nashville Lion in the bridge and an overwound lion king for the neck. They sound great and the neck is very clear - not wooly or dark.

In a previous guitar I had fralin blues specials and those were incredible.

So I would suggest either of those - the Cavaliers are insanely cheap which is great.

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
Totally know the feeling. It is nice to show the way. I got my Timeline almost excactly 10 years ago and am pretty sure that made many great P&W players jump on Strymon bandwagon.

in my dreams.. I still was that early though :D
that's about when I got mine... there was still a wait list when I ordered mine back in 2011 or 12 or whatever that was

NickAudette

Silver Supporting Member
Peeps that use an Iridium, are you able to boost the overall volume with a pedal in front of the Iridium? When I was trying a Walrus ACS1 it would not add volume, just drive it harder and add compression. I want to be able to boost the overall volume with a pedal before the Iridium.

dickjonesify

Peeps that use an Iridium, are you able to boost the overall volume with a pedal in front of the Iridium? When I was trying a Walrus ACS1 it would not add volume, just drive it harder and add compression. I want to be able to boost the overall volume with a pedal before the Iridium.
It depends how dirty you set it. If your “clean” tone has the gain around 1:00 or lower, yeah it’s got the headroom to get louder when pushed.

That compression is what’s kept me from even trying the ACS1

dmutter

Yup, I do it all the time. But it's like @dickjonesify said, you can't have your gain on the Iridium up too high

cjm254

First weekend that I've had off in almost a year.

Walked my daughter down the aisle instead:

EJsZvVE.jpg

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member

Here is my WT tone match w/ amps set like theirs on their supreme patch, but my preferred compression and OD settings, versus my standard Matchstick Ch1 and Essex 30 in Helix. Chipmunk girl voice transposed +4 in Reaper, cause I was practicing for doing this song a couple weeks ago, and all is on my Gretsch bridge pup. The tone match is first intro/verse/chorus, then mine is the second one. Both louder than they'd be in a mix to overcome the original tracks, and I didn't match note for note at all, gonna do the rhythmic dotted 8th for our version in the verses and just the simple arpeggio picking in the choruses.

My observations, in isolation the TM stuff has more clarity but in a mix it is also darker sounding overall compared to my regular patch, and so for our band at church it's not as ideal. They also have their amps set with less compression/sag than what I usually do, so I had to do some leveling in the DAW to get it sounding relatively similar because mine has more compression at base level. All that to say, the concept seems cool but as was said earlier why mess with things when I am already otherwise totally content with what I have and know it works well in our stream and room mix?!

Chance

Totally know the feeling. It is nice to show the way. I got my Timeline almost excactly 10 years ago and am pretty sure that made many great P&W players jump on Strymon bandwagon.

in my dreams.. I still was that early though :D
I got mine around the same time as well! I actually got one from the very first batch they made, lucked out on getting it into my cart and checking out successfully before they sold out.

04andrew22

Silver Supporting Member

It depends how dirty you set it. If your “clean” tone has the gain around 1:00 or lower, yeah it’s got the headroom to get louder when pushed.

That compression is what’s kept me from even trying the ACS1

Nick, not sure when you trialed the ACS1, but might be worth noting that since the initial release, walrus has released firmware updates that have at least partially fixed some of the headroom/compression issues users were experiencing off the bat. I haven't had a major issue with gain staging/volume boost between stages, but admittedly the headroom still does seem lower than what I was used to with the HX stomp. Not experiencing that issue at all with the ruby, either fwiw.

johnnywelk

Anyone see the WT TM a/b tests? They sound pretty different to my ears. I honestly think I have gotten similar results before matching the AC30 fawn to my Jackson Newcastle with only using the amp model eq...

Not dissing the patches, as I have been using them for the past week and haven't missed my Bassman/Jackson through loadboxes rig too much. I just expected a closer match with all this hype.

Last edited:

04andrew22

Silver Supporting Member

Here is my WT tone match w/ amps set like theirs on their supreme patch, but my preferred compression and OD settings, versus my standard Matchstick Ch1 and Essex 30 in Helix. Chipmunk girl voice transposed +4 in Reaper, cause I was practicing for doing this song a couple weeks ago, and all is on my Gretsch bridge pup. The tone match is first intro/verse/chorus, then mine is the second one. Both louder than they'd be in a mix to overcome the original tracks, and I didn't match note for note at all, gonna do the rhythmic dotted 8th for our version in the verses and just the simple arpeggio picking in the choruses.

My observations, in isolation the TM stuff has more clarity but in a mix it is also darker sounding overall compared to my regular patch, and so for our band at church it's not as ideal. They also have their amps set with less compression/sag than what I usually do, so I had to do some leveling in the DAW to get it sounding relatively similar because mine has more compression at base level. All that to say, the concept seems cool but as was said earlier why mess with things when I am already otherwise totally content with what I have and know it works well in our stream and room mix?!

honestly think they both sound great! goes to show in a mix the marginal differences are undiscernible for the most part. this has been repeated ad nauseam, but we spend a lot of time scrutinizing isolated guitar tracks -- i dont think that's bad at all, per se, since we're all on our own personal pursuits of the ideal "sound in our head" -- but in the end no one should feel like they need to continually pour money into new gear cuz as long as what you're using is decent/passable, its not gonna make a lick of difference to the audience whether you're playing on a real amp, helix, kemper, fractal, UA, iridium, acs1, etc. i think we've reached an age where all of these units are gonna get within 5-10% of the real thing, and that margin becomes even considerably less in a full band mix.

Top Bottom