P&W Rigs/Pedalboards

He_Ma

Didn't know you went there. Two of my bandmates went there - Dan Stevens (04) and Ian Corbin (03) - but I would have known most people in a band there in the late 90s early 2000s. I ran a "coffehouse" -if coffeehouses can have punk/hardcore shows- in the basement of a church in Beverly. What years were you there and did you have a band?

It wasn't until watching a rig rundown last year that I realize that Phil from Caspian is someone I used to book to play my church basement :D

Yup I was there 00-04 and played guitar in BTJ (or Beehive Trumpet Jumpers before we realized that was a stupid name). I knew Dan for sure and all the After The Sirens guys were friends of ours and the singer from BTJ (my brother) went on to play drums for them after Jason left. Oh and Cal from Caspian was my freshman year RA’s roommate and I knew Erin decently well since he and I were two thirds of the guitar majors at the school for my first year. What was the coffeehouse/church name? I wonder if I played there? I bet we crossed paths at some point.

Oh and I played in The Wellspring Embrace from like 07-10 too with some gordos as well but one didn’t last long and the others were a little younger than me

You get really many "cool ppl in the P&W thread-points" from me with Caspian name drops. Waking season and some of their live stuff on youtube really left their mark on me. Waking season is like on of my top 10 albums ever. I would love to see them live!

dickjonesify

Lots to check out if you want. There are 4 audio only tracks in the SoundCloud playlist from night 3. I thought about editing around some stuff but whatever, this is real life, folks :rotflmao They also maybe a little quieter than some other mixes because I didn't EQ them and barely compressed them. This is darn close to what I was hearing...

Then, here's a compilation of shaky video of some of my favorite moments of night 4. It's fun to see how different bass notes affect the picture lol. Speaking of bass, that run at 0:25 :thud

All in all, I'm very happy with how everything went. There a few funny mistakes along the way.

He_Ma

Lots to check out if you want. There are 4 audio only tracks in the SoundCloud playlist from night 3. I thought about editing around some stuff but whatever, this is real life, folks :rotflmao They also maybe a little quieter than some other mixes because I didn't EQ them and barely compressed them. This is darn close to what I was hearing...

Then, here's a compilation of shaky video of some of my favorite moments of night 4. It's fun to see how different bass notes affect the picture lol. Speaking of bass, that run at 0:25 :thud

All in all, I'm very happy with how everything went. There a few funny mistakes along the way.

This needs more like buttons and couple love buttons. Really love your tones and playing!

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
You get really many "cool ppl in the P&W thread-points" from me with Caspian name drops. Waking season and some of their live stuff on youtube really left their mark on me. Waking season is like on of my top 10 albums ever. I would love to see them live!
Yeah I remember seeing them a number of times in college and they were… fine? But I wasn’t into that whole post-rock genre yet, just that Cal was an acquaintance and Phil was a cool dude (and the tallest human being I’ve ever encountered).

It’s funny, I worked at an online shoe reselling company started by Gordon grads from a decade earlier than me and one of the guys I worked with there was friends with them all, and he told them their genre was totally a college fad and they wouldn’t last too long, so he wrote a bunch of lyrics for their songs and kept trying to get them to bring a singer on. Clearly that didn’t pan out like he thought

Last edited:

dickjonesify

I saw Caspian open for Coheed & Cambria. Great show.

This needs more like buttons and couple love buttons. Really love your tones and playing!

Hahaha. Thanks man, I appreciate it.

LionVerse

Anhedonic Misanthrope
Silver Supporting Member
Waking Season is a fantastic album and the funny thing is I had seen them live and didn't recognize Phil with beard. Plus when I used to book him he was in a band called Leaving 99, while they were good they were basically a Zeppelin rip off band so I didn't associate him with that style of music either.

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
Waking Season is a fantastic album and the funny thing is I had seen them live and didn't recognize Phil with beard. Plus when I used to book him he was in a band called Leaving 99, while they were good they were basically a Zeppelin rip off band so I didn't associate him with that style of music either.
Did you ever do anything with Hawley Sawyer Rifle Company/Adullam? That’s when I first met Phil… that band’s drummer hit harder than any drummer I’ve ever seen. That was a real delight in the concrete box that was Drifters. Also Tom’s vintage tele deluxes were drool worthy.

Last edited:

LionVerse

Anhedonic Misanthrope
Silver Supporting Member
Did you ever do anything with Hawley Sawyer Rifle Company/Adullam? That’s when I first met Phil… that band’s drummer hit harder than any drummer I’ve ever seen. That was a real delight in the concrete box that was Drifters. Also Tom’s vintage tele deluxes were drool worthy.
Loved Adullam I booked them all the time! We recorded a demo in Tom's basement. Man this is weird...

thebeebs

Thanks for reminding me of Waking Season! I listened to this and especially Hymn for the Greatest Generation a TON in college.

ebenezer

Gold Supporting Member
You could probably scroll back a few years in this thread and find me vehemently arguing against tracks, but it turns out that two years without a drummer, playing the same acoustic sets week after week after week, world without end, was enough to break me.

When we resumed meeting in person after a long pandemic stream thing, we’d lost half our band, and I tried everything in my bag of tricks to fill out the sound and provide variety… looper pedals, kick drums, I added a submarine pickup to my acoustic and routed it through an octave pedal to provide bass… and the end result was Sundays were grinding me into a shell of myself, wearing me out. It was taking an hour to set up, I kept making mistakes because I was juggling so many elements, and the … y’know, aspects of what we do that are not TGP discussable… were totally out the window for me because all my focus was needed to just play All The Things.

I suppose I could’ve just dropped all that and been acoustic guitar and vocals every single week, but the charm of an ‘unplugged service’ wears off after fifty of them in a row.

Anyway finally relenting and allowing some basic tracks gave me my life back. I ditched the kick drum, the looper, the bass pickup, and found myself free to focus on playing the instrument I’m actually playing (usually acoustic still) but with joy and intention. Yea maybe it’s kinda lame that a track is playing the drums instead of my right foot doing it but as far as I can tell no one noticed I was doing that anyway and now I can be present and try to excel at one thing instead of barely keeping it together at three.

So I’m a tracks convert. I feel so much gratitude to them. But I mute every guitar on every song, having phantom guitars playing when there’s a real guitarist on stage is not for me.
If I have a drummer, I won't run any tracks. No point IMHO, but there was a time when week after week I didn't have a drummer, and I totally agree that acoustic every week looses its charm. If I lost my current drummer (who is beyond fantastic), I think there'd be a time where I went to tracks occasionally. Not all the time, but occasionally for sure.

PianoMan

Silver Supporting Member

Sounds fantastic! Your tone there is just stupidly good - some of the best AC30ish tones I've heard from a Fractal! You going to release your preset anytime soon? ;)

LionVerse

Anhedonic Misanthrope
Silver Supporting Member

Wowzers! I got to listen with headphones at lunch and safe to say you have that thing dialed in. It sounds fantastic and your playing is great as usual

boyce89976

Gold Supporting Member

YEEEESSSS! This sounds so good, Dan! How can anyone not be inspired by those tones!!!
:drool
:dude

dickjonesify

Dude you put on a clinic here. Your slidework is mighty fine.

Sounds fantastic! Your tone there is just stupidly good - some of the best AC30ish tones I've heard from a Fractal! You going to release your preset anytime soon? ;)

Wowzers! I got to listen with headphones at lunch and safe to say you have that thing dialed in. It sounds fantastic and your playing is great as usual

YEEEESSSS! This sounds so good, Dan! How can anyone not be inspired by those tones!!!
:drool
:dude

Thanks you guys! I was pretty thrilled.

johnnywelk

The people of this thread wanted the toanz, and you delivered big time! Lovely playing to boot!

papersun

been reminiscing a lot lately about Kaddisfly, one of my favorite bands from the late 2000s, a truly great time in our nation's history. duplicating these tones in my helix has been a blast.

Top Bottom