P&W: Time for a new OD

Yonkovic

P&W guitarists (or anyone really), help me pick a new OD! I'm looking for a different medium gain OD for my board. I have had the EM-drive sitting in this spot and it has been good, but I'm looking to change things up. I have tried a Timmy and really didn't bond with it; same with the Klones I've tried. I have a Morning Glory on the board for darker sounds that I just adore, but it's set low.

Lots of guitars used and my main amps are a Dr Z M12, Bad Cat Cougar 15R, and Dusky D2O.
I'm thinking that I might stray from transparent ODs as I just haven't enjoyed their breakup quality. What is everybody using for medium gain these days? I'll check out anything, from transparent to TS.

girded loins

Silver Supporting Member
I'd check out the Dr. Scientist The Elements. Really versatile drive. One guy on here has two, but I forget who. Looking at picking up one my self potentially.

chrisross

I'm a big tubescreamer fan. The Tube Screamer Mini is, IMO, the best Tube Screamer in Ibanez's whole lineup. It really sounds amazing and can be had for about 60 bucks.

I'm also the biggest fan in the world of the Fulldrive 2. It's just incredible. The best. It's great. It can be had for about 90 bucks I think.

Both are tubescreamery, so figure out if you want a tiny or big pedal and you won't be disappointed.

Bob T.

Ever since getting my British Overdrive, I've been a big fan of Big Tone Music Brewery. They have several OD's with 3-band EQ and a sweepable midrange. Bluesbreaker/Guv'nor, Tube-screamer, RAT, Muff, DOD 250, etc. Definitely check them out.

Yonkovic

I'd check out the Dr. Scientist The Elements. Really versatile drive. One guy on here has two, but I forget who. Looking at picking up one my self potentially.
I've watched JustNick's demo of it and wasn't overwhelmed. Nick does great demos and I enjoy watching them, but his tone is always too fuzzy for my tastes. It would be interesting to see if the pedal is always that rough or if that is just his preference.

Lovepedal Super Six- the Grey/Gold Ghost version.

Absolutely killer!
Definitely getting looked at!

I'm a big tubescreamer fan. The Tube Screamer Mini is, IMO, the best Tube Screamer in Ibanez's whole lineup. It really sounds amazing and can be had for about 60 bucks.

I'm also the biggest fan in the world of the Fulldrive 2. It's just incredible. The best. It's great. It can be had for about 90 bucks I think.

Both are tubescreamery, so figure out if you want a tiny or big pedal and you won't be disappointed.
I've used many Fulldrives on house boards before. They are good sounding pedals for sure! I need to maintain the standard TS-size though for real estate purposes.

girded loins

Silver Supporting Member
I've watched JustNick's demo of it and wasn't overwhelmed. Nick does great demos and I enjoy watching them, but his tone is always too fuzzy for my tastes. It would be interesting to see if the pedal is always that rough or if that is just his preference.

This is the clip that made me want it. haven't watched justNicks but I love his demos.

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
Fromel modded bd2. That dude's mods on that pedal make it a killer mid gain drive as long as you're good with a fairly flatly eq'd pedal. If you want something with a bit more mids, bearfoot honeybee all day long

Yonkovic

Fromel modded bd2. That dude's mods on that pedal make it a killer mid gain drive as long as you're good with a fairly flatly eq'd pedal. If you want something with a bit more mids, bearfoot honeybee all day long
I listened to some of the Fromel mod clips, and it just doesn't resonate with me. I always forget about the HBOD though. It might be time to add one to the family...

TippyRacer

After hearing talk about the Blue Note here for quite a while, I picked one up a few months ago. WOW what a real deal for low to mid gain, I use it on my praise board, much like lots have used the MG in that praise role for years.
Not that they sound exactly the same mind you, just comparing the usage in the same way a million praise boards have a MG on them to get that jangle and braang sound. Sometimes I get to crank the gain knob for a little chunka chunka or widdly widdly too :D

Yonkovic

After hearing talk about the Blue Note here for quite a while, I picked one up a few months ago. WOW what a real deal for low to mid gain, I use it on my praise board, much like lots have used the MG in that praise role for years.
Not that they sound exactly the same mind you, just comparing the usage in the same way a million praise boards have a MG on them to get that jangle and braang sound.
I actually own one and occasionally swap it with the MG. I agree completely, it really is fantastic! I prefer it as a low-gain that breaks up hard on the bridge pickup. I suppose I could try setting it as the higher gain and leaving it instead, what with the "hot" switch and all...

blackba

Silver Supporting Member
I am using a Kingsley harlot for my p&w board. I use a Klone to push it. Works great.

King of tone would be my other recommendation.

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
I listened to some of the Fromel mod clips, and it just doesn't resonate with me. I always forget about the HBOD though. It might be time to add one to the family...

The clips on his site are awful... Are there YouTube clips of it? I played one in store so I never looked. Basically it gives the bd2 a much less metallic tone and a much more pleasing high and low end, and takes that fuzziness out higher up the gain knob. Still a bd2 at its core if that's what you like, but a much more enjoyable pedal

Trending Topics

Top Bottom