P90 adjustments

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vintagecrunch, Jul 12, 2008.

1. vintagecrunch

vintagecrunch Senior Member

Hey guys I just installed a Fralin P90 in my Les Paul Junior and had a question about adjusting the heigth. It is a dog ear cover and I cant really raise the pickup itself too much so do I just raise the pole pieces? How high do you P90 players set your pole pieces to get the best tone?
    Thanks for the input

2. erksin

erksin Member

I would honestly just use your ears. You're obviously limited by not being able to raise the pickup body, so the overall sound is going to be potentially thinner and brighter. I would try flush with the top of the cover as a baseline and do minor tweaks from there.

3. vintagecrunch

vintagecrunch Senior Member

Thanks. Is there a rule of thumb about how high the pole pieces should go? What's too high?

4. Cado

Cado Member

I generally like to set my pickups as high as possible without getting any negative effects, like creating false tones or the stings making contact when doing palm mutes.

5. Franktone

Franktone Member

Yeah Cado is right, for more power raise the whole pickup high, but not so it interferes with the strings. P90's I believe, have a large flat bar magnet laying across the bottom of the pickup, and the screws which act as pole pieces go down either right into the bar magnet or just beside it. So the screws carry some of the magnet field to the top of the pickup, but my experience with P90's is that raising or lowering the screws does not have a great amount of effect, like you would expect. So I sink the screws and simply raise the pickup. If you want less power, simply sink the pickup. If the P90 is of the dog eared variety, then you won't be able to raise or lower the pickup because in this case it is fixed in height. You can also slightly tilt an adjustable P90 pickup.

6. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

7. Franktone

Franktone Member

Thanks for the info zombiwoof.