P90 Bridge Pup - Where to Locate on Scale?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Tinman, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Tinman

Tinman Member

I'm making a 25 1/2" scale guitar with a P90 in the bridge position. Any ideas or thoughts on where to locate it in relation to the bridge? Is there a generally accepted placement method or is it just trial and error? On the last guitar I made like this I always had a feeling that I put it too close to the neck, but who knows. Anybody?

2. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I have a '56 LP Junior all orig/ stock - I'll measure it tonight and post it's location relative to the bridge.

I agree w/ Henry the Horse - Gibson had a margin of error of about 1 inch through the years. That combined with Gibson's margin of error for bridge placement makes it hard to pinpoint the 'correct' location.

I'll measure mine - it sounds pretty good (GRIN)

Dana O.

3. Tinman

Tinman Member

Wow. One centimeter is closer to the bridge than I think I have ever seen. That's about 3/8", correct? I looked at a Reverend (with a 25 1/2" scale and 3 P90s) for reference and it looks like there's about 1 3/8" between the high E saddle take-off point and the front edge of the pickup. That seems like it might be too far away from the bridge. I guess I should play one. Joe Naylor does things pretty deliberately from what I know about him.