P90/Clean tones at Rehearsal/Gig -> NoGo ??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by soopajeanmi, Sep 17, 2012.

1. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

Been enjoying at home my Fano SP6 since 3 months, the guitar is a joy to play and the tones clean or overdriven are *great*.

Yesterday I had a rehearsal with a new band I'm working with. 99% of clean tones: soul and r'nb music (Marvin Gaye, Crusaders, Michael Jackson, etc...). I discovered that my lovely Fano was noisy as hell in a studio rehearsal environnement, particularly on the neck pickup (a P90). The band is not that loud and the humming and buzzing was terrible: I had to stay in the one spot in the room where the buzz was a little lower and couldn't move much.

Did you guys encounter such problems? Am I crazy to bring a P90 guitar to that kind of gig ?

2. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic Gold Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    60 cycle hum is a single coil fact of life. ISP Decimator Noise Gate or MXR Smart Gate will both filter out the noise for you, good around $200 or a little under fix's. I have both and find the ISP to be much better with fading notes and no abrupt gate "clamp-down", once I got the ISP, the Smart Gate became backup (Boss also sells a noise gate but I have no experience with it). Call/contact Illitch Electronics (the guy who licensed the SSC system to Shur Guitars) to see if they have a dummy coil set up for your Fano - Have a Suhr Tele style w/P90's and SSC system built in - 99% quiet and real single coil tone, this is the best way to go. Suhr has a new system he developed but it's not retrofit-able for non-Suhr guitars at least at this point. Then there is the stacked P90 humbucker way to go, Fralin or Kinnman seem to be the most mentioned around here, though there are others out there.

3. HenryAdams

HenryAdams Member

Can you shield the guitar? The bridge is a regular tele SC, right? It shouldn't be THAT noisy. It's understandable that the neck is noisier, but still. Do you have an isolated power supply/filter for your pedal board?

4. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

The bridge is much less noisy than the P90 in the neck. I don't know if the guitar is shielded, but franckly at $2800 I expect it to be...

The guitar was noisy even plugged straight into the amp (I even tried different cables too).

5. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

I use the SD P-90 Stack pickup in the neck position, it is a hum canceling pickup. Big difference from the P-90 I had before I switched.

6. rwijaya

rwijaya Member

the noise should be at minimum when you touch the strings. fretting, palm mute etc. your body should act as a ground. so if the neck pickup buzzes more than the bridge pickup, while playing, there is something wrong with the grounding of the neck pickup.

7. memiller

memiller Member

Maybe you should try and find out what in the room is causing the buzz and eliminate that instead of immediately blaming the guitar. The buzz comes from somewhere. It doesn't just magic itself out of nothing.

8. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

If it's an issue in that situation & distracting to you & your band, it sounds like you need to bring a different guitar or swap out the real P90.

Personally, I couldn't live without 'em, but they're not for everyone or every situation.

Could definitely be the room, though, if the buzzing was that extreme.

9. MichaelSaulnier

MichaelSaulnier Member

Lindy Fralin P=90's really do a great job.

M

10. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer

What kind of gig? A soul gig with mostly clean tones, or a rehearsal in a studio? Either way no you're not crazy. That's the music I play, and have mainly used P-90s for the last 6 years or so. I won't say I've never had a problem, but in general a studio environment can be much worse then on a stage. For instance computer monitors are instant hum producing machines and it's hard to escape them.

I've played some stages where things like neon signs and TVs were an issue, but usually it's easier to deal with on stage vs studio, and once you start playing there's much more background noise going on, so it's less noticeable.

I would look into shielding your guitar, just because it was expensive doesn't mean it was shielded. You might want to contact the guys at Fano, I've talked to them in the past and while they were kind of slow to get back to me they were very helpful.

11. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

Thanks to everyone for answers, that's very useful.

I'll bring a different guitar (a 339) to rehearsal next time just to check how it goes.

Did a test yesterday at home: plugged in my princeton reverb at volume 6 (loud) without playing: huge humming from the P90, even with my hand touching the strings. Then I plugged in the 339: dead quiet.

12. slider

slider Member

Yeah, call Fano. Sounds like something is wrong with your particular instrument.

13. Arewenotmen?

Arewenotmen? Member

Sounds like you need to join a louder band. :dude Hum problem solved.

14. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

That's exactly what I have as the neck pickup of that Fano.

15. TobyManhattan

TobyManhattan Member

Was yesterday the first time in that space? I've noticed some places are much worse for hum than others and it can even change from day to do.

I've played at a venue with barely any hum and then again at the same venue where the hum was unbearable and I had to switch guitars or play in the middle position.

16. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

Yes it was.