1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

P90 comparisons - let's discuss them...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Macaroni, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I'm planning to get a new custom guitar, and I thought I should have one with P90s instead of single coils (which I have), for a P90-P90-H setup, or maybe even 3 P90s.

I've been doing the research and so far, it's come down to three...

Harmonic Design VP-90 or Z-90
    Vintage Vibe P90
    Lollar P90

The last P90s I played were in the mid 60s on a (real) 54 Gibson Gold top (refinished to a sunburst), and a Les Paul Jr.

Any and all comments and comparisons are welcomed, re tone, noise issues, etc, etc.

2. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Hey Ron - I recently had the opportunity to a/b the Lollars in my Driskill with original P90s in a late 50s LP Jr. They sounded very, very similar. The Lollars seemed to get a wee bit less distorted...like there was just a little bit more clarity or 'clean headroom' to them. Is this better? Don't know, that's up to the listener.

3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

May I add but 1 more to your mix? Be sure to consider the always excellent Peter Florance Voodoo P-90s if you want a true vintage-like tone. PF was one of the early guys in the boutique pickup craze, and still builds among the very finest. And he's quite approachable...spent quite a bit of time with me helping with my decision, and he'll custom build to your needs as well. Give him a call. AC

4. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Hey Leon...

Thanks for the input. I've always found that the bigger, richer, cleaner, and sweeter the cleans are, the nicer the OD tones will be, for my tastes of course. Don't you have a Thorn with P90s?

5. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Thanks AC. I have a Les Paul with Voodoo 59s that are very nice. However, since I put a set of WCR DarkBursts in my Les Paul Supreme, I decided to put in a set of Goodwoods (just came today!) in the LP with the Voodoos. But I'll definitely read the reviews on PF's P90s.

6. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Big +1 for the Lollars. It has the signature growl and punch of the Gibson P90s, but all 3 positions are very balanced and have a bit more clarity.

7. Leonc

Kind of :).

My Thorn (#012) has some custom-made Lollar P90 style picukps. The deal was that I originally put TV Jones Hilotron type pickups in it. They were too microphonic and too low output for me (though they did have a cool sound) so I talked Jason into custom winding some picukps that would fit into the same cavity but would sound pretty much like P90s. He did a great job. I love the guitar so much more now. They sound very similar to the P90s in the Driskill (which are stock Lollars)...but the stock ones sound a bit better to me. Here is a clip of the custom P90s in Thorn 012.

8. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Hey Ron, don't mean to derail your thread, but I'd LOVE to hear your impressions of the Voodoos vs. WCRs, especially considering that you're putting them in the same guitar (I also have PF 59s in a McNaught). Now back to our regularly scheduled program. Regards, AC

9. 59 Deluxe

59 Deluxe Member

i can seconcd the experience of the lollars vs. a P90 from a 56 LP Jr. i found the lollars to be fantastic but just a little cleaner than the vintage. maybe because they don't have 50 years of mellowing on them?

10. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

LEON!!! What beautiful playing and tones on that tune! I'm saving that one to study. ;) Can you post the backing track? With the 3-P90s, can you switch for the inbetween tones too, ie: a 5-way vs a 3-way?

AC - Will do. Unfortunately, the pots and cap from RS were delayed until next week, so I won't have it back until mid/late next week. However, the DarkBursts are much better in my Les Paul Supreme than the Gibson 490R & 498T for my tastes. Much clearer, more articulate, and a better balanced tone for the LPS, which has a chambered body, making it more smooth in general. The DBs are just gorgeous - and the single coil tones are beautiful too - strong, clear, full, etc.

11. Leonc

Yup. I got it wired up with a 5-way and push-push tone pot so that I can get all combinations (except all 3 which I don't miss). In fact I'm using a number of them, IIRC:

0-1:11 = neck + bridge
    1:12 - 1:33 = middle + bridge
    1:34 - 1:56 = neck
    1:57 - 2:17 = middle

Unfortunately...I don't have the backging track anymore :( . I think Peter Green was involved in some part of that clip though...may have been one of his 12 bars...

Thanks BTW!

12. Leonc

Thing is...pickups tend to sound/operate a little different in different guitars...

13. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Sorry Ron. Not acceptable. Need to hear sooner! :D When you get it all installed PLEASE post or even PM/email. I'd love to hear your opinion. Many thanks! AC

14. morgan

morgan Guest

Lollar rebuilt a trashed p90 from a '65 SG jr that sounds absolutely incredible. I also have a set of his for my R6. I love the neck, but the bridge was a little weak, not quite hot enough for me. In general I think lollars are well balanced eq-wise (less quacky than gibby's or the SD antiquities), with lots of clarity and chime. I've tried the SD in the bridge of the R6. Nice, classic P90 tone (quackier, gritty), but not as full bodied as I'd like. I'm not sure what to try next. Maybe I'll send the lollar bridge back to him for a hotter rewind...

15. hitchcockblonde

hitchcockblonde Supporting Member

Anyone else tried/liked Wolfetone's P90s? Had one briefly in a Hamer Artist and while it did not match well with the SD in the neck position, it had a nice clear, midrangely but balance sound, and not too hot.

16. KRosser

KRosser Member

I had a mongrel parts Tele with HD Z-90's in it for a while. I loved them. But I didn't think they sounded as much like p-90's as they did a 500-lb. Strat pickup. A really sweet 500-lb. Strat pickup. Someday I will surely own a decent guitar with a set of these in it for keeps.

Anyway, I think the Z-90 is really its own thing, not so much a vintage
    P-90 knockoff