P90 for a LP Jr?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mrface2112, Dec 15, 2009.

1. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

So, I've got this chinese epi LP Jr that's my "beater" guitar--the one i leave lying around the house, don't mind if the 4 year old picks up, and that sorta thing.

Thing is, it's a GREAT guitar. Plays great, sounds absolutely incredible acoustically. I don't know what they put in that piece of plywood, but it's got "it".

Anyway, I've upgraded the wiring, pots, jack, nut, bridge, just about everything except the tuners. It's currently got a Duncan Pearly Gates in it. I've got FAR more invested than the $70 i paid for it.:thud

Now i want to put a P90 in it but I'm not sure where to start. I'm thinking Lollar or Fralin and i want that "vintage P90" kind of sound.......but i'm not opposed to another Duncan or something.

Suggestions?

cheers,
    wade

2. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

I can recommend the Fralin HC P-90s.

3. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

New Gibson P90's have great tone.

4. Jan Folkson

Jan Folkson Member

I'm very happy with my gibson P90's. But, I'd bet that the Fralin is great too...

5. jaydawg76

jaydawg76 Supporting Member

My personal favorite is Lollars low wind P90. I've compared it to most of the others out there and it's head and shoulders about the rest. But, as with all things "pickup", that is just my opinion.

6. JefeMaximo

JefeMaximo Huge Member Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the current Gibsons. They sound great. Second choice for me would be Lollars, but I'm sure the Fralins would be just as nice. The good news is that you can't go wrong with any of these three (or more). Just try to listen to as many as you can (even if it's only online) and get the one that sounds best to you. After that, forget about the brand and just play the heck out of it.

7. macca

macca Member

fwiw, I have Lollar and Wolfetone P90s in a few all-mahogany guitars, but I like the P90's that came in my historic Gibson Jr and Townshend sig SG special better

not sure if they are both the same, or if they are available separeatly, but they sound rellay good (albeit a little different from each other) in those guitars

body mass, wood quality, what tones you are chasing, etc will affect which pickup works for you the best in that guitar, but I would recommend trying whatever Gibson p90 comes in the historic Jr., sounds great in that type of guitar

8. Cotton

Cotton Member

i've got p-90's by every maker mentioned here plus Rio Grande, Bill Lawrence 1970's, and Harmonic Design. I have original p-90's from the 50's plus a '59 Jr.

Every recent Gibson p-90 guitar that I've bought since 2003 has never been replaced. The new Gibson P-90's are just fine with me.

My 2001-ish Baker Junior has Suhr P-90's.

My 97 McCarty P-90 is loaded with Seymour Duncan.

My 08 PRS One has a vintage Lawrence side by side coil P90 from the 70's known as the 550 Lead.

All of these pups are great. Best in value is Gibson for price/guts. Best in narl.... I'd go Suhr pups in the Gene Baker Korina... or the P-90 loaded 1972 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop (not mini-hums). Best in Jerry Reed covers goes to the 70's Bill Lawrence...

If it were me, I'd choose hot versus regular and then take what's available in that class from any of these makers.

Cotton

9. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Can't go wrong with a Lollar, he makes a few different types of P90's

10. mike6m

mike6m Member

I am glad to hear all of the recommendations of Gibson P90's. I don't have too much experience outside of them, but they sound mean and really do sound good. I am tempted to try the Lollar 50's wind, but with all pickups, it's like if it ain't broke, don't fix it, so I haven't been tempted.

11. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Well, almost all of the P-90s are represented here. I tried the Seymour Duncans and honestly I don't think they sound as good as the Gibsons. One of the best P-90s I've played was a Fender Black Dove, but I don't think they make a dogear version. If it were me, I'd go with a Gibson.

12. Tone Seeker

Tone Seeker Member

I have a Collings 290, which I believe has regular wind Lollar P-90's in it. Are his low wind P90's simply brighter, or do other characteristics differ?

Terry.

13. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Wait! The SD Pearly Gates that's in the guitar is a HB, so a traditional P90 won't fit. Try a Phat Cat or Fralin P92 for P90 tone.

14. P90Nut

P90Nut Member

I agree!

15. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

Thanks for all the replies folks! Y'all are the best!

Gkoelling is right.....the guitar's currently got a humbucker in it. I hadn't actually thought that a P90 wouldn't physically fit in it. For some reason, i thought that the P90 was smaller (both in L and W) than the 'bucker.....but it seems that the P90's a bit longer.

Maybe we've got ourselves a springtime router project. :D

Or maybe we just get a different guitar with P90s. I think that's what we might do. :rotflmao

In the interim, I'll have to give the fralin P92 or the Duncan PhatCat a try. Although admittedly, the P-Rails looks pretty cool.

cheers,
    wade