1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

P90 for Strat?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jtw, Jul 7, 2006.

1. jtw

jtw Member

Has anyone mounted a P90 to a Strat pickguard before? Will this work/fit? I have a project Strat with the "swimming pool" route and wanted to make it into a single P90 guitar.

2. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

I have a Big Apple strat fitted with 2 p90's a master volume and tone and a tele 3 way switch.It's killer but you have to make a new pick gaurd.
    If your strat has a humbucker you can get a P92 and it will fit or you can route the pickup hole out for either.

3. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

I haven't done one personally, but I've seen many who have. If you have the right route (you do), and the right pickguard that is cut out for a P-90, it'll work. Those who I know who have P-90 Strats, rave about the tone. I love P-90 tone and imagine that in a Strat they sound fantastic.

4. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

How about an HH set up with some Duncan Phat Cats?

5. flacke

flacke Member

have a '94 G&L Legacy with 2 Lindy Fralin P-90s. 2 250K pots I wish where 500K in highnsight and a 4 way tele switch to run the pups individually and both in series and parrallel. The G&L has a Swimming Pool Route. Which was shocking to find such a "fine" intrument with one. But I made the best of it and did the P-90 mod easily. I had to make my own pickguard witha dremel tool from a stock sheet I bought on eBay. Fender HH guards are more common other wise Chandler makes custom guards, google them to find out more. I think the guitar sounds awesome.

However, I'm looking a the the Strat-o-sonic because I'm not fond of the wood the tremolo cavity and the swimming pool route is missing. I'd really like a hardtail with as little wood missing as possible and having the pups mounted on the body and not a plastic guard.

[​IMG]

6. flacke

flacke Member

PS-I mounted the pups to the body not the pickguard. You can do that w/ dog eared P-90s.

7. tdu

tdu Member

Rondo has a dual P-90 SX available. While the parts would be crap, it's an alder body and it's actually routed for P-90's. I emailed them to ask. I am considering buying it just for the body. At $109 I think it would be worth it.

[​IMG]