P90 for Strat?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jtw, Jul 7, 2006.

1. jtw

jtw Member

Has anyone mounted a P90 to a Strat pickguard before? Will this work/fit? I have a project Strat with the "swimming pool" route and wanted to make it into a single P90 guitar.

2. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

I have a Big Apple strat fitted with 2 p90's a master volume and tone and a tele 3 way switch.It's killer but you have to make a new pick gaurd.
    If your strat has a humbucker you can get a P92 and it will fit or you can route the pickup hole out for either.

3. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

I haven't done one personally, but I've seen many who have. If you have the right route (you do), and the right pickguard that is cut out for a P-90, it'll work. Those who I know who have P-90 Strats, rave about the tone. I love P-90 tone and imagine that in a Strat they sound fantastic.

4. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

How about an HH set up with some Duncan Phat Cats?

5. flacke

flacke Member

have a '94 G&L Legacy with 2 Lindy Fralin P-90s. 2 250K pots I wish where 500K in highnsight and a 4 way tele switch to run the pups individually and both in series and parrallel. The G&L has a Swimming Pool Route. Which was shocking to find such a "fine" intrument with one. But I made the best of it and did the P-90 mod easily. I had to make my own pickguard witha dremel tool from a stock sheet I bought on eBay. Fender HH guards are more common other wise Chandler makes custom guards, google them to find out more. I think the guitar sounds awesome.

However, I'm looking a the the Strat-o-sonic because I'm not fond of the wood the tremolo cavity and the swimming pool route is missing. I'd really like a hardtail with as little wood missing as possible and having the pups mounted on the body and not a plastic guard.

[​IMG]

6. flacke

flacke Member

PS-I mounted the pups to the body not the pickguard. You can do that w/ dog eared P-90s.

7. tdu

tdu Member

Rondo has a dual P-90 SX available. While the parts would be crap, it's an alder body and it's actually routed for P-90's. I emailed them to ask. I am considering buying it just for the body. At $109 I think it would be worth it.

[​IMG]