P90 Goldtop Question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jim lavender, Jun 11, 2008.

1. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

I'm itchin' for a P90 Goldtop for the Freddie King/Sean Costello tone. Right now I'm leaning towards the Epi 56 with a switch to Lollars or Fralins. I'd kind of like to try it before I buy it so that probably leaves Edwards/Tokai out of the equation. There is also a Reverend dealer here in Atlanta . Any other suggestions for an off the rack gold top in this price range?($600-700)
    Thanks

2. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

As a general rule, i would go for a second hand model. if you re not confident enough to buy one of a private person, go for a second hand model in a shop.
    make sure the frets and neck are in good shape so you don t have to waste any extra money on top of what may seem like a bargain and turns into a nightmare...
    Epi 56 and Reverend sound like great value to me.
    Fralin, lollars or Sheptones for the soapbars are a great choice for you pups.
    Spend a lil extra and put in and RS pots upgrade, it really makes a HUGE difference. Using great 200 + pups and ****** pots is a bit of a shame, even tho I m sure the Epi pots are better than any stock R9's or at least just as good hehe ;p

3. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Member

The Epi with the pickup swap may work well for you although I have to say that I've personally given up on this approach. If you really want an R4 or an R6 and you're settling for the Epi you'll eventually be disappointed. It's worth saving up for what you really want and not going half-ass and regretting it later.

Just my 2 cents...Canadian... :)

Jim

4. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I'd also look at the Hamer Studio Goldtop w/P-90's. Used ones often come up in the $750 price range. A bit more dough but I had one with Lollars than absolutely held it's own against any R4.

5. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

Was it a tone or playabilty issue that caused you to give up?
    Thanks

6. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

I got a used Epi '56 with Fralins and also replaced the bridge and tuners and pots, switch, etc. Great playing and sounding guitar, but I have since got a PRS Soapbar and think that one sounds excellent stock.

Jack

7. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Member

Well it was kind of the old adage, "You can't polish a turd". :) OK, maybe that's a little harsh but it's kind of what I mean.

If you're going to mod a lower end guitar for the sheer enjoyment of doing so, that's one thing. If it's yours to keep forever and ever and you can make it do what you want then you're set. However if you get tired of it down the line and decide to sell you'll likely take a bath on the resale value. On the other hand if you save a little longer for what you really want you'll be proud to own it once you have it - with no regrets about settling for second or third best - and if you ever have to sell it you won't lose your shirt.

For me and the copies I own it's been both a tone and playability issue. I thought my Junior copy was something else (and it is very good), but when I bought my Historic Special the difference was immediately apparent. The nitro finish feels "pro" on the Special, it isn't made out of a million pieces of wood and it sounds great everywhere on the neck. My Junior just doesn't have the presence and the definition the Gibson has.

An LP Special isn't exactly a sought-after Gibson but I know if I had to sell it I'm sure I'd fare better than I would if I was to unload my copies.

Just some thoughts...

Jim

8. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

Thanks Man

9. karmadave

karmadave Member

Try and find a used Japanese-made Tokai LS-80S. These come up every and then on eBay. Great guitars for the money...

-KD

10. groove_king

groove_king Member

:agree

Get an Edwards. Best value for money ever. Never mind not being able to try before you buy - you won't regret it. I had a couple of friends stay with me. One had an R4. The other guy couldn't put down my Edwards as he said it felt and played better then the Gibson.

Don't waste your time and money on Epiphone. There are far better alternatives out there.

11. AS193

AS193 Member

I have an Epi 56GTRI modded with Lollar P90's, CTS pots, switchcraft switch and jack. The Lollars really brought the guitar to life, and the tone from the Lollars is so great. They're not cheap, but I'm certainly glad I used them.

Here is a couple tracks of the guitar. I also used a Zendrive, and other effects, but still the tone cuts through.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=677438&songID=6227367

12. YOGA64

YOGA64 Member

13. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Absolutely agree on the Edwards. I know there's been a lot of hype about them but now that I've tried a couple all I can say is WOW.

14. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

I'll keep an eye out for an Edwards on the Atlanta Craigslist and I'm also going to try out some Epis and Reverends as well. I realize in my price range my options are limited but I really dig the Goldtop P90 thing. Thanks for all the input.

15. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

BTW I've had two Gibson Historic '56 LPs. I myself would like an Edwards '56.

16. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

See my product demo page. I have several clips of my Edwards '56 reissue with Duncan P90s and a couple with Lollar Minis which I just replaced the P90s with. Fantastic guitar. I like it better than the last few Gibson Les Pauls I've owned. It's the first LP I've played in a while that's comparable in tone and feel to my '72 Gibson which would go for $3500 these days.

17. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

Thanks for the input. I'll keep an eye out for the Edwards and maybe I can find someone who is trying to sell locally. To get a new one, do you have to order from Japan.
    Thanks

18. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I got mine from Japan. It was $989 + $100 shipping and $145 duties. Not too bad considering the quality. Fretwork and inlay work far exceeds gibson's, plus it's got the long tenon.

19. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

Thanks again. Great playing by the way.

20. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

Thanks for all the help