P90 Guitars for < $750?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mbratch, Jul 9, 2005.

1. mbratch

mbratch Member

I'm currently in the market for a P90 guitar and have read several threads here on the topic. But these threads quickly turn into plugs for more expensive vintage Gibsons, or higher-end new P90 guitars (custom, hand-made, etc).

So, what if we limit the discussion to guitars that are easy to find at < $750 (new or used)? That excludes the $1500 guitar that someone found a once-in-a-lifetime steal at $749 because of unusual circumstances. ;)

Here's a list of guitars I've been looking at that seem to get pretty good reviews:

PRS Soapbar SE [~$449 new]
    Hamer USA Special [~$650 used]
    Epiphone 56 Gold Top [~$450 used]
    Godin LG SP90 [list $599]
    Gibson LP Special [~$600 used - varies a lot]

What do you all think of these in particular, or others realistically < $750?

Thanks.

2. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

All very good, the PRS is very nice, good construction and may found one with a great tone, not so difficult as some others. My only recomendation is also consider the used Ernie Ball Music Man axis sport with P-90's. American made, excelent quality one of the most comfortably neck and can get used around your budget. Good luck.:D

3. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

The one you can rely on to be great is the Godin. These are great guitars, and the company's committment to quality control is consistent. Not saying the others are bad, but the quality control is hit or miss. I played a PRS SE Soapbar II last weekend that was good, but an earlier SE sucked.

I've played three different Godin LGs over the last couple of years in different cities, and each one has been a guitar I would be proud to own.

4. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

5. Boomdoggy

Boomdoggy Supporting Member

I had a Godin SP 90.Real good quality,but the frets were too small for me.The Hamers are sweet.

6. tiptone

tiptone Silver Supporting Member

I've only played the Soapbar SE II and the LG SP90, and they're vastly different guitars. The Godin has a 16" radius, making it very flat, too flat for me but if you like that there you go. The hardware was also mounted very close to flush with the body, wasn't comfortable to me personally. It was a _very_ well put together guitar, just not for me.

The Soapbar SE II I played was very nice as well, as well put together as the Godin, just a little more comfortable to me.

7. -kk-

-kk- Member

my money would be on the Godin SP90

8. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Supporting Member

I bought a '93 Hamer Special w/P-90s this week, and it's awesome. I like it more than the McCarty I just sold, and it seems to be built every bit as well.

9. boog204

boog204 Member

you can't go wrong w/ either the hamer or godin.

10. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

At the risk of being trashed by Gibson haters..

The Les Paul DC Faded I had was one of the coolest guitars I have owned. And I thought it sounded really great, too. These can be had used for pretty cheap...saw one go here for like $400 recently. Their geomerty makes them have a really different feel that I liked alot.

I'm on my second SG Classic, too. I had one of the pre-MF exclusive versions (a 2000) and the neck was too big for me. I took a shot on the word of others and ordered one of the new ones, cause some people said the newer necks weren't quite as huge. In either case, those guitars are totally smokin, and can be had used for around your budget. They seem to go used for really close what they are new at MF, but Ive seen a couple sell on Ebay for just at or under 750.

H2H

11. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Personally, I'd go Hamer 1st. Quality on hamer is on par with the best.
    Second choice would be the Ernie ball and 3rd, the Godin.

No losers in the bunch.

12. JSD

JSD Member

How about a P-90 gold top Tokai? Very nice and well within your budget...;)

[​IMG]

13. mbratch

mbratch Member

I neglected to mention Tokai and Agile (AL3000 with P90s) which I have looked at as well. Very price friendly. I don't know much about their stock pickups, though. My interest is in a P90 guitar with excellent stock pickups, and the ones I listed seem to get good reviews.

14. blackburncustom

blackburncustom Member

Hi,
    I can make you a superb solid, chambered, or semi-hollow guitar with a Warmoth or USACG neck and two High-end (Lollar, etc.) P-90's for that $750.
    Peace,
    Dave

15. straightblues

straightblues Member

Get the Hamer Special it is easily the best on your list. I have played all of the others and the Hamer is by far the best. The Hamer is the only first rate professional instrument on the list. The other fall into the it is "Good for the Money" category. For $650 you may be able to get a Hamer Artist or Studio with P90's as well which are also very good guitars.

I have had a couple of Agiles. Their P90's sound decent, but they definately don't get the vintage P90 tone if that is what you are after.

16. mainsale

mainsale Member

I picked up a mint, used LP Special with P-100's. I gave it a set up, dropped in a set of Lollar P-90's and rewired it like a 50's with an orange drop and it became a great sounding and playing guitar, especially for the money.

17. tub

tub Member

I have an 04 Gibson Les Paul DC and its one of my best sounding and playing guitars. Looks great in yellow too. It really sounds great!

18. Glen W

Glen W Member

I've had a Dillion Goldtop for about a year now. I think I paid about $450 for it. Excellent quality, frets perfect, and pickups that don't have me even thinking about replacements. It's all mahogany, and heavy...

But what tone!

19. straightblues

straightblues Member

Wow that Hamer has a spectacular maple top on it. Most of the ones with P90's don't have a maple tops and go for much less than that one will go for.