P90 in a tele neck position

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jeffinaustin, Nov 9, 2005.

1. jeffinaustin

jeffinaustin Supporting Member

I find I never switch to the neck position on my tele because I just don't like the sound of the standard tele neck pup. There's been a lot of talk around here about P90's and I was wondering what you guys think of a P90 in that position. If you use one (remember - specifically in a tele) which one and why?

Thanks for any help provided!

2. mainsale

mainsale Member

I just stuck a Fralin P-92 in the neck of my American Tele and I absouletely love it there. Lindy described it as a noiseless P-90 and would eleminate the mudddy tone that sometimes comes from the neck of a Tele. He was absolutely spot on the money. Mine was wound to 8k and has P-90 snap and bite with no mud. I like this pickup so much, my next Tele project is going to have P-92's in both the neck and bridge position. Don't take my word for it though, check it out yourself. Fralin has a 30-day return policy if your not happy with his pickups.

3. LeifK

LeifK Supporting Member

I think Harmonic Design makes some direct fit replacements for teles because the neck pickups on teles are weak. I don't like mine either.

4. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I'm not sure exactly what Fender Japan uses in the Aerodyne Telecaster, but I've tried a couple and I like that guitar a lot. Aside from the excellent bulid quality and playability, the neck P90 blends very nicely with the typical Tele bridge pickup when in the middle switch position, nice and bubbly like a Tele should be (IMHO). In the neck setting, it's all vintage LP Special.

5. Ogre

Ogre Member

The new Lentz design features a P90 in the neck position, and it sounds excellent.

6. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

It's pretty easy to put in a Strat neck pup. Lots and lots of options are available.

7. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

A P-90 in the neck of a tele can be a wonderful thing! I've used Lollars and Gotohs with great results. Been jonzin to try one of Dave Stephens "Kay Bars" in the neck of my tele also.

I'm one who really does dig the tone of a good tele enck pup, but these days I use mostly low output, PAF style buckers in the neck of my teles. I know you asked specifically about P-90's, so I'l ltry not to stray too much from the topic!

Some others to consider would be The Dimarzio Blues Bucker. This is a humbucker sized pickup that gets a very nice P-90ish tone. Fralin, Antiquity, Harmonic Design, Manlius, Truetone would also be good options to consider.

8. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

I think you need a new neck PuP...

Although I'm normally an LP player, last year I bought my first Tele...or I should say I had it made.

USACG Padauk/Pao Ferro neck with mahogany body loaded with a Muey Grande SC in the neck and HB in the bridge...

Even though I'm normally a PAF guy, the Rio MG SC is so addicting I find myself playing it for hours on end on the neck setting!

It's ruining my relationship to my LPs ;)

BTW, I'm having a second Tele built right now with this config - Hum/P90/P90

9. SOcular

SOcular Member

Grew up in South Georgia, live in Atlanta now, but
    I think it sounds like a good idea, but you'd have to get a traditional Tele routed, or get a Tele with a humbucker in the neck and replace it with a humbucker-sized P90, which have mixed reviews (no personal experience, I've just read some things).

Also, you could get an ASAT Classic Custom, which has a soapbar-sized EMD pickup in the neck, or get a custom made body with correct routing.

There is also a lowish end Fender that has two Duncan designed P90s. Then, you could swap them out (from personal experience and things I've read, I don't like them much). Of course, if you are looking for the classic Tele bridge with this model, you aren't going to get it.

10. mainsale

mainsale Member

My American Standard Tele already had a humbucker route at the neck. I did not have to do any routing to put the P-92 into it. Also there are at least three excellent manufacturers of vintage style bridges for Am Std. Teles. Callaham and PigTail Music are just two of them.

11. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

I got a Gibson minihum from a Deluxe put in the neck of my Tele, and I love it.

Great combination of tones available.

12. SOcular

SOcular Member

Grew up in South Georgia, live in Atlanta now, but
    Thanks, that's good news (I kind of want a P90 equipped Tele, too). Does the Standard come with the routing straight off the production line?

BTW, I own the ASAT Classic Custom--and love it--but traditional Tele pickups/bridges and traditional P90s sound different to me, so naturally I want one, even though the audience would never understand.

13. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

Jason Lollar makes great stuff, I know there are alot of good pickup makers out there, but you can't go wrong with a lollar. Also, he has a quick turnaround time for a custom made pu.

Brent Mason is a nashville studio guitarist that uses a p90 in the neck position.

14. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

The Aerodyne Tele is pretty cool. The P90 in it is a Fender Black Dove. (Get it ... soap bar -- dove? Har har.) They're reasonably easy to find, so it'd be a good way to see if you like the combo. I do -- but, then, I also love the sound of my Fralin Broadcaster neck pup, so what do I know? :NUTS

15. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

One could always get a P90 SC like the S&K Guitar Specialties S90...

16. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Do the mini hum in the neck it's great

17. fatback

fatback Member

I have a Vinneto, Legatto T style guitar with Lollar mini hums in the neck and middle and a parts Tele with a HD Z-90 in the neck. Both sound big and round clean and milkshake thick overdriven.:dude