P90 in the neck of a tele?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mark norwine, Apr 7, 2008.

1. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

That's the question...."P90 in the neck of a tele"? Have you? Would you?

I have a really nice parts tele that I'd like to get a bit more "girth" from the neck slot. I have no reservations about doing the routing......but before I do, I'm wondering what you all think?

"been there, done that"?

mn

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Member

D'uh!

(That would mean YES...! ;) )

3. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

The best Tele I ever owned had a Gibson Soapbar in the neck.....here it is....a blonde '71...taken in 1979:

[​IMG]

4. 57special

57special Member

I'm going to say the opposite of the other two, I've played a couple at length (one a 66, one homemade), and they didn't do much for me unless you wanted to turn things up, at which point it was a half-assed P90 tone.
    I prefer a Dearmond type pup, or maybe a Filtertron in a tele neck. Mojocaster has a video around here with some pretty nice tones from his TV Jones equipped tele.

5. operanonverba

operanonverba Silver Supporting Member

Had one of those Aerodyne teles once with a black dove p-90 in the neck. Sounded great and I got a lot of complements on the tone. I would have no hesitation putting a p-90 in the neck but I'm on a quest to put a beefy humbucker in one.. now your talkin!

6. playon

playon Supporting Member

It was good enough for Roy Nichols... he was using a Tele with a P-90 in the neck slot in the late 70s.

7. MartinC

MartinC Member

I had a quick blast on one once ... thought it sounded a bit too dark and beefy.

8. avincent52`

avincent52` Member

I've got a charlie christian in mine and I love it, and I imagine a P-90 would give you a similar effect. The pure neck tone isn't twangy--more sweet and jazzy--but the middle two positions on a four way have a really interesting blend of sweet and snarly.

Depending on the guitar, you should try before you buy, because it needs a big rout.
    best
    Allen

9. sumlin

sumlin Member

I always think Tele's with different pickups in them work best when you put both pickups on - my friend has a Tele with a P90 in the neck and the balance between that and the Tele bridge pickup gives a great sound. Individually they're both a bit much but together they fill in each other's gaps so to speak.
    I have a Tele with a 70s WRHB in the neck and a P90 in the bridge and it sounds great with both on.

10. Zane

Zane Silver Supporting Member

11. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

Good enough for Buddy, good enough for me!

(Buddy actually played with my cousin in a band in Jr. High School.....)

12. go7

go7 Member

I have a Heatley model T with Wolfetone P90`s neck and bridge. Wonderful. Is it a real Tele, probably not.But then you don`t get a custom guitar to copy what is already available.The tone is so thick, articulate, and percusive. I`m loving it.Good luck!

13. mainsale

mainsale Member

Well, I'll tell you that one of the best pickups I've found for the neck of a Tele is a Fralin P-92. Tele neck pickups can tend towards mud and darkness. The Fralin P-92 is very articulate with a wide bandwidth and is very clear. It's sounds like a noiseless P-90 with great snap and sweetness. To my ears, it just works great in the neck of a Tele. It also blends well with a Fralin Blues Special in the bridge with 4-way switching. This is my favorite Tele from a tone standpoint.

[​IMG]

14. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

i've got a GFS Mean 90 in the neck of my 50s Classic Tele and damn if it isn't the perfect pup for the neck.

15. oscar100

oscar100 Member

yes yes yes yes yes do iT!!!!!!!:bow

16. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Both my Teles Have Neck Position Humbuckers..........The Only way to fly and the Middle position KILLS with a Touch of OD and some reverb............

Truly OldSchool............;)

17. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

I have and I love it.

Take a look at Lollar. He makes a P90 especially for tele neck, underwound
    with fixed poles. It's what I use and it matches the bridge pickup better
    than my old more traditional P90.

18. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

my favorite "Tele" neck pickup, the G&L ASAT Special neck MFD (looks like a P90 but isn't one) is along the same idea... huge clear tone... go for it.

19. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Silver Supporting Member

This is my favorite guitar, Tele loaded with mini-buckers. It's wired with a super switch:

P1 - Bridge
    P2 - Bridge + Middle
    P3 - Bridge + Neck
    P4 - Middle + Neck
    P5 - Neck

I really like the neck and bridge pickup on at the same time for nice thick clean tones. All the pickups sound really good with the tele body.

[​IMG]

20. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

How about a Fralin steel pole or Rio Dirty Harry? I use a DH in the bridge of my Strat. I'd describe it as 75% P-90, 25% Strat tone. It might match the bridge pickup better and not require any modifications. Just a thought.