P90, Minihumbucker, or Humbucker for Telecaster Neck Positions??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dewman, Feb 11, 2008.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

What's your fave and why??

2. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

My fave is any old Gibson soapbar P-90 you can find. I had one in my '71 Telecaster and it was a DEMON. Should have never sold it.

3. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I have had all three, and really liked each. It REALLY depends on the pickups themselves.

Harmonic Design makes a killer P90 (vp90) that sounds unreal in the neck slot of a Tele. The Lollar mini-hums sound fabulous in the neck of a Vinetto, and I love the Suhr SSV humbucker in another T-type I have.

The trick is balancing that neck pickup with a stong, yet clear bridge pickup. Harmonic Design makes the Vintage Plus and Super 90 Tele bridge pickups that are excellent. If you want great sound, power, clarity AND no hum, the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Hot T is a fave of mine.

4. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I have a Seymour Duncan Vintage minibucker in combination with a Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue bridge in a ash body chambered spruce topped Tele with a maple neck. Bit of an odd duck. Through a DRRI, they combine well for a real nice funk sound. The neck on it own is very clear and articulate - almost like a very powerful clear noise free single coil. It is not harsh or sterile but it is not warm and woody like an old PAF. It does get close to a HB jazz sound with the treble on the guitar rolled off. It sound good for moderate gain stuff like a dimed 2xEL84 amp. Hope that helps.

5. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Member

I have a regular HB and a minibucker, in the necks of 2 different Teles. They both work well, though I like the tone of the mini better. I'm sure a P-90 would sound great there too.

6. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Always wanted to make one with a Gretsch FilterTron in the neck. I think that steely twangy humbucker would go so well with the steely twangy Tele bridge pickup.

7. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

A classic mini humbucker matches best with a Tele's bridge pickup in terms of balance and output.
    Rene

8. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

Why not consider a DiMarzio Virtual Vintage stacked?
    A bit more output, no noise, but keep 99% of the single coil characteristics?

9. WordMan

WordMan Member

I have a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat - a 'bucker-sized single coil design meant to be somewhere between a P-90 and Jazzmaster P-90-type pickup. I really like it - I have thought about swapping in a Fralin P-92 after seeing a bunch of TGP'ers sing their praises but I haven't gotten around to it and have been enjoying the Phat Cat - maybe on my next Parts-o-caster...

10. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

anyone try the Lollar minihumbuckers in a tele? What PAF style humbucker would you recommend- Fralin??Lollar??Wolfetone???, etc.