P90 pickup question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Kmaz, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

What sound characteristics are found in a good P90 pickup?

2. dlguitar64

dlguitar64 Member

Fatness with clarity clean,overdrives easily.

3. honeyiscool

honeyiscool Member

4. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Question? Does the sound of a P90 differ much in a Hollow Body as compared to one in a Solid Body guitar?

Thanks for the replies, fellas.

5. honeyiscool

honeyiscool Member

Hollowbodies sound nothing like a solid body guitars in general, even if you consider any pickup other than P90s. But as P90s are very loud and fat sounding, they have a tendency to cause a lot of resonance in a hollowbody, which is either good or bad, but mostly good.

6. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

Chimey to rip your f*%$ing head off.

7. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

they're punchy without being 'ice-picky', they're wide and fat without sounding 'muddy', they're loud and dirty. I love em

8. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

More of the vocal-type enunciation you can get with single coils, as opposed to the more limited range of picking sounds you get with humbuckers....

9. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

lots of awesome sauce

10. copperhead

copperhead Member

Hollow body guitars can get boomy especially in the neck position ,IMO lower wound pickups P-90's or humbuckers are a better fit for hollow guitars

11. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

More middy, barks well, never mushy lows like a humbucker. Does sound different in hollow vs solid... but still retains the basic character.

12. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

It sounds as though, apart from the hum cancelling, a humbucker isn't needed if there are P 90s around. :)

13. honeyiscool

honeyiscool Member

What you just said is that apart from doing the only thing humbuckers are supposed to do, they're not needed.

Humbuckers just mean that there is no hum. It has nothing to do with output.

Humbuckers can come in all shapes and sizes and output levels. Same with single coils. A Duncan SSL-3 Strat pickup is twice as hot as a Seth Lover humbucker.

14. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

This is what I've always believed to be true? That the double coil of the humbucker cancelled the hum but brought a distinct and powerful/warmer tone as well. Seems I've been wrong all this time?

15. e???

e??? Member

No humbuckers are usually more output than a strat pup, but the seth lovers are just lower output. Humbuckers and p90's are warm compared to fender single coils, but p90's still bite and quack, humbuckers don't as much. I'm talking in generalities here there's always variations to this stuff, just like the seth lover pickups.

P90's in a semi hollow or hollow are great. I think that combo is the easiest to sing to, and my favorite guitar sound right now. Just such a rich sound. Its making me practice a lot these days, and really enjoy it. Good tube amps play a big role in that as well.

16. honeyiscool

honeyiscool Member

P90s are single coils and are very warm sounding. What I mean is that sure, a Strat pickup is usually bright and low output and a Gibson is usually warm and higher output, but that difference isn't necessarily built into a single coil vs humbucker. You can make humbucker or single coil as bright or as hot as you want.

17. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

Live, raw, untamed. A P90 is like having a girlfriend who knows how to act nice in front of your parents but is a wild thing when the grownups aren't around. :D

18. supercreep

supercreep Member

i haven't come across too many p-90's that i thought were not good.

I think the key is really matching the pickup to the guitar - early 1950's, late 50's, new ones they all got their own thing going on.

For me, with hollow bodies i prefer lower output, p-90's same with sg's - with juniors i like a hotter p-90. you gotta get the right pots too

19. qblue

qblue Member

To my ears the P90 has tons of mids, and I adjust my amps to less midrange, which is the opposite the way I voice my amps for Fender single coils. I usually turn midrange up for Fender's SC.

But P90s are noisier than Fender single coils, and have a lot more output.

In comparison to humbuckers, P90s don't have the lower end response of a humbucker, which suits me. And to me the humbucker doesn't have the upper end the p90 has. They're different and useful. The latest versions of the P90 has been upped to 9khz. I believe Gibson is responding to the high end pickup makers out there who do the same. My version is 8kHz on my 2012 LP Studio 60's Tribute.

20. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    No, they're a different sound. They're very articulate clean, but compress pretty hard when overdriven. Humbuckers (even low wind) tend to hold together better under heavier OD.

But I will say I find them to be the most versatile pickup, can cover some Fender spank as will as Gibby humbucker sounds. A dogear P90 in an LP Junior can often sound like a hot Tele bridge pickup.