P90 poll

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by joek86, Feb 18, 2006.

Which P90 for Cassic rock and Blues?

1. Harmonic Design VP90

2. Lollar P90

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

If you were picking up a guitar to play Classic Rock and Blues, which P90 would it be loaded with? I have Lollars in my Koll and am building another and it is spec'd with HD's, but I'm ascared!

Joe

2. Tinman

Tinman Member

Fralins. I've had Lollars. I thought the Lollars were excellent, but the Fralin bridge pup is just a bit brighter. Both company's neck pups were equally great.

3. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

I think you are limiting yourself in the poll. There are many P90 options. My only P90 experience was in the 60s, when I was broke, and borrowed a guitar for two weeks, and had to give it back, when I couldn't come up with the $110 Cdn to pay for it,... a 1956 Gibson Lp Goldtop,... OUCH!

4. mainsale

mainsale Member

Yep, I agree. Your hurting yourself by limiting the search. The Fralin P-92 is a great noiseless P-90 pickup and there is nothing wrong with Gibson P-90's either. You have lots of great choices. It could be a win/win situation for you if you open your eyes, mind and ears.

5. Pete Faragher

Pete Faragher Gold Supporting Member

My two favorites right now (and have been for some time) are the Duncan P-90s that are in the McCarty Soapbar. You can get them on ebay from time to time. Also the Dimarzio P-90s that Baker used in his guitars. Also on ebay occasionally. Both these pickups were supposed to be specially wound by their respective makers for these guitar builders. But I'm sure they could give you info on which of their models would be most like them.

Pete

6. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Lentz, but you gotta buy a guitar to get the P-90

7. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Yes indeed, Splatt... although, realizing I'm not being helpful to the original poster's question, I will say that Jason Lollar makes my 2nd favorite P-90 pickup. They are very very high quality and sound (cue Tony the Tiger) GRRRRRRRRRREAT

8. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

I know that I have limited myself by choosing to have only 2 to pick from, but Lollar to me is the gold standard, and HD has been recommended by people that I trust for good tone. I feel that I would open the flood gates and be in even more of a quandary if I add a bunch.

Joe

9. Strung Up

Strung Up Member

I'm pretty happy with HD's and . . . Suhr's. His P90s always get overlooked. Vintagey but without any mud or imbalance.

10. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Jason Lollar makes the best P90s I've heard, but then again, I've never played one of those Lentz guitars.

11. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

www.guitartom.net makes great pups.

12. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Hamer uses Duncan 90s don't they?