• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

P90 recommendation

dazco

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the gibson P90's in my special. But the neck is just too hot to be clear so i tried a wilkinson i had laying around. It was 8k too, but i unwound it down to 7k and while it's clearer than the gibson, it's just too nasally and the quality of tone isn't n par with the gibsons. I want a much more jangly articulate clean in order to use the neck for those clean to slightly dirty rhythm tones. The wilk does ok but like i said the tone quality ain't there and it's nasally. (yes, i know P90's are naturally middy but this is overkill)

So I have 2 questions...1-has anyone unwound about 1k off a gibson to use in the neck to get what i'm looking for, and if so how well did that work? and 2-who else likes the gibson's but finds the neck too muddy and found a inexpensive P90 that worked great in the neck? I know GFS are wel thought of here, at least some. But i never tried one. Whatever you recommend tho it must be no hotter than about 7k, all else being equal. (because i DO realize magnets can make the resistance a bad way to read output)

TheBuffalo

Gold Supporting Member
Don't mess with the windings of the pickups. Why not just try an alnico II magnet in it?

sliberty

Call Lollar or Fralin or Novak or (fill in your favorite pickup guy), and tell them your experiences so far, and see if they can wind you a new pickup that will be satisfying. destroying a perfectly good pickup and not ending up happy seems like a waste to me.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
Call Lollar or Fralin or Novak or (fill in your favorite pickup guy), and tell them your experiences so far, and see if they can wind you a new pickup that will be satisfying. destroying a perfectly good pickup and not ending up happy seems like a waste to me.
Agreed.

Fretsalot

Consider Wolfetone, also. Wolfe is easy to work with and extremely accomodating. I have a 2002 Gibson Jr. that I've been mostly happy with. I visited Wolfe's shop a few weeks ago and he let me play his p90 loaded LP - Yowza! As soon as I get my DrV's dialed into my R7, I'm ordering one of his 'meaner' p90's for my Jr. He has the mean, meaner & meanest p90 models on his website, but talk to him/send an e-mail to tell him what you want - he is also developing a following for the Kauer p90 he builds for Kauer guitars, which I think is slightly underwound from his 'mean' p90.

Fretsalot/Scott

stephenwz968

Silver Supporting Member
Mick at Manlius Pickups is great at deciphering the sound in your head and making it into a sweet pickup. I have his Howlin' Goat P90s and couldn't be happier.

dazco

I've unwound dozens of pickups and have yet to ruin one. So again, if anyone has done a gibson p90 for the neck, how was it? And for recommendations, i'm looking at reasonable to cheap, not boutique. As to A2, my experience with them is opposite of clear and articulate.

Alvis

There's lots of winders making alnico slug pole pickups in p-90 mounts nowdays . That would be my suggestion for clear / articulate .....

dougk

Gold Supporting Member
Consider Wolfetone, also. Wolfe is easy to work with and extremely accomodating. I have a 2002 Gibson Jr. that I've been mostly happy with. I visited Wolfe's shop a few weeks ago and he let me play his p90 loaded LP - Yowza! As soon as I get my DrV's dialed into my R7, I'm ordering one of his 'meaner' p90's for my Jr. He has the mean, meaner & meanest p90 models on his website, but talk to him/send an e-mail to tell him what you want - he is also developing a following for the Kauer p90 he builds for Kauer guitars, which I think is slightly underwound from his 'mean' p90.

Fretsalot/Scott
Without giving away to much the K90 set is especially designed to have a clear neck tone without loosing the p90 grit. It's a. Great fit for a guitar that has a naturally strong midrange at the neck.

B-Nads

A friend just put a set of Budz in his LPJr and they sound great - quiet, articulate, but angrier the more you dig in.

Simto

Lollar 50's wound are amazing! I have them in my Fano.
I like the Gibsons too, but seriously, the Lollars are great!

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
When you say jangly... I don't think P90, I think rickenbacker or gretsch... and find myself wondering if there is a TVJones in a P90 form factor.

I love the Gibson P90 in the bridge, but they don't work for me in the neck. In every P90 guitar I've owned, I eventually end up with an under wound loller in the neck. With one exception... my Les Paul Junior Special was still dark so I put his 50's wind in the neck. Killer, but not jangly.

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
When you say jangly... I don't think P90, I think rickenbacker or gretsch... and find myself wondering if there is a TVJones in a P90 form factor.

I love the Gibson P90 in the bridge, but they don't work for me in the neck. In every P90 guitar I've owned, I eventually end up with an under wound loller in the neck. With one exception... my Les Paul Junior Special was still dark so I put his 50's wind in the neck. Killer, but not jangly.
TV Jones Classics do come in a P90 form factor. The Fralin P90's sound nice and jangly to me.

-bEn r.

dazco

Well, the wilkinson i unwound down to 7.1k or so just wasn't making me happy, so i unwound the gibson neck. Much better. Took it down to the same resistance and it's now much more usable. Still tho, as someone mentioned these P90's are just very middy, so even with the lower cleaner output it's not as jangly clean as i wish. Maybe different magnets, tho i doubt it since alnico 5 (which i believe they are) should be as jangly as anything. But still much better than the wilkinson, and worlds better then the stock winding, which was rather worthless for cleaner rhythms unless you adjust the amp so the bridge pup is then worthless.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom