P90 sized humbucker ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by daveS, Nov 29, 2005.

1. daveS

daveS lefty dude on hiatus Gold Supporting Member

Between the San Andreas and Calaveras Faults
    I'm looking to replace a P90 at the bridge with higher output humbucker.

What are some good humbucker pickups out there that will fit into a P90 route . . .and are there any that look like a P90 but are actually humbuckers ?

The only one I am familiar with is the the Rio Babybucker.

Thanks in advance

-d

2. axpro

axpro Member

THe only ones I can thin of that look like p-90's are the gibson p-100's a stacked version... fitst the same route. If it doesn't have to look exactly like a p-90, Dimarzio has the ones they made for Yamaha available now.

Dave Mc

3. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

DiMarzio's Virtual P-90 is a side-by-side double-coil humbucker in a soapbar cover. I believe they also make a version of their 'Distortion' humbucker in a soapbar cover.

Gibson & Seymour Duncan both make 'stacked' pickups that are humbuckers but look like traditional P-90s. They are somewhat taller than regular P-90s though, and might require removing some wood from your guitar - thought that is less likely in the bridge position than in the neck.

--chiba

4. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

Bill Lawrence buckers like the L500 will fit that footprint

as Chiba noted, dimarzio makes a couple of them.

5. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

T -Bear pickups in Sweden has done some P90 sized HB pickups that actuallly will fit in standard P90 covers and that looks like stock P90 (not stacked, two small coils with "faked" polpeices between the coils).

http://www.t-bear.se/ check him out he can make almost anything. I saw a Tele pickup the would fit in a humbucker frame as well as lap and pedalsteel pickups and pickups for all kinds of instruments.

6. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

I think the Virtual is supposed to sound like a P90, only hum-free. The DLX 90, P90 Super Distortion and Tone Zone P90 are meant to sound like the equivalent humbuckers (they say the DLX is close to a Steve's Special). There are detailed descriptions in DiMarzio's page.

7. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

I have tried and liked a few of the pickups. The really cool stuff is everything he can custom make. The guy has a lot of ideas, i saw this two coil p90 size pickup that according to Mr T-bird sounded a bit like a Mini hum but more stratish. haven't tried that one. His humbuckers and Tele pickups i have tried, god stuff, maybe not *better* than some US pickups like Lollar or Wagner, it's very much a matter of taste. But as i said he has a good ear and is always inrested in WIERD stuff. The Tele pickup in as Humbucker frame was ONE cool idea. He also had some stuff with the coils side by side but turned 90 degrees so that the WINDING was upwards and he had polepeices in the center between the coils.

If you have some strange ideas (I'm quite sure you have you being you ;) ) shot him an email and we will all be interested in the result :)

By the way you made my day (and local time it is only twenty minutes old) be saying you trust my ear as i regard you as the one amazing musician and a over all great person. I always enjoy you're posts.

8. loudboy

loudboy Member

I have a LP Special w/P-100s and I think they sound really nice.

Loudboy

9. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

Check out Peter Biltofts Vintage Vibe hum sized P90s. I bought a creme set and have been blown away at the value , tone for the dollar. I am thinking about getting another set for my Heritage 157. No hum at all, great clean output and a nice growl when cranked. Cheap too!

10. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Check out the Tom Anderson M-series - sounds like an M3 is what you want.

11. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

what about a regular mini humbucker?

12. hipfan

hipfan Member

TV Jones is making soapbar versions of his humbucking pickups now. Not sure if any of them get into an output range over that of a P90, but I'm betting the tone is fantastic.

I have one of the Power'tron bridge soapbars on order to try in my Agile...

13. mainsale

mainsale Member

I would bet that the Lollar Mini-bucker would be excellent in the bridge!

14. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I've used the DLX90's in a few guitars with great results.

15. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Rio Grande is making a P90 sized hummer now, too. I think it's called the Baby Bucker.

16. pm81

pm81 Member

The DiMarzio virtual p90, as mentioned previously sounds very good. I wasn't expecting a whole lot and was pleasantly surprised.

Paul

17. pm81

pm81 Member

I hear 'ya - LOL

18. mccreadyisgod

mccreadyisgod Member

It seems to me that the Gibson Mini-Humbucker is the same size, and can provide some variety to the P-90 or alnico humbucker tone.