P90 users - your pedal wisdom please...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Chrissy, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

If all goes well my Lollar Classic will ship next week. It's a P90 SG style guitar finished in white nitro with a block inlayed bound ebony board and made from some nice "old wood". Kluson tuners, Tonepros AVRII and alu tailpiece, RS kit, Fralin P90s (only joking, Lollars of course :) ) and a black guard to finish it off. Can't wait!

It's a while since I dialled in my rig around a P90 guitar and so Í'm wondering if those of you who play P90s regularly notice anything particular regarding ODs, fuzz, boosts etc (or amp/tube types for that matter) that go particularly well with this style of guitar. At present I play a Tele and a Les Paul thru EL34/KT66/6L6 amps, in case you want to make comparisons...

Thanks
    Chris

2. ruby7829

ruby7829 Supporting Member

I have an SG Classic with stock p90s and my OCD sounds wicked with the p90s. Nice and crunchy. It really sizzles.

3. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I have a Les Paul Special (double-cut-away) with stock Gibson P 90's. My Keeley modded RAT loves these pick-ups, and they love it - a match made in heaven (or hell, depending on your perspective).

PS - don't be afraid to ride your guitar volume knob with P 90's - there are a ton of really cool tones available all the way from 1 to 10.

4. BJF

BJF Member

Hi,

Another P-90 fan.
    I run a Les Paul with a P-90 at neck position or a TV Special with P-90's and tend to use about half the distortion depth I'd run with humbuckers and have a speeding cap mounted on the tonecontrol so I can dial it in or out from the volume control and get twice the range from adjusting the volume on the guitar.
    RAT is a good choice for your rig Chrissy or if you still has a DRD run that at distortion about 9oc or slightly higher.

To me there's an inherent gutsyness with P-90's that comes across stronger with less distortion depth, but one that cannot be beaten for what sounds it gives

Some of the local guitarheroes used to run P-90's with a Bassman halfopened with greenbacks. :dude

Fuzz pedals are also cool with P-90's and then adjusting of the volume control is crucial, but I would recommend you'd get a speedingcap mounted on the tonecontrol like on old Gibson amps
    and then you can have passive treble enhancement at much reduced noiselevels and frankly only the noise level of the P-90's have prevented me from soley using P-90's.

I think what normally suits your amplifier would be the ticket only
    just reduce the distortion depth and let the dynamics shine.

Also notice how the tonecontrol can be effectively used at something like "6"

Have much fun
    BJ

5. Leftee

Leftee Guest

I've got a Agile Gold Top with HighOrder A2 P90's. It's become my go-to guitar. Love it!

I have been surprised at how many different amps/pedals I can make work with this guitar. I visited a friend back in the summer and took that guitar. He has several amps and I played through them with this guitar.

The amps were:

100w Soldano (forget the model)
    100w Marshall metal panel
    Oahu 1x8 combo (1950's vintage)
    Fender Blues Deluxe

Obviously I didn't run the Soldano high-gain with this guitar. P90's are noisey.

The guitar sounded amazingly good through all those - even the OD channel on the Fender (yuck!). He commented that he couldn't get the Fender to sound that good with any of his guitars (various HB-equipped guitars).

Same thing with pedals. It seems like I can get decent tones out of any pedal I try.

Right now I have a Marshall AVT 20 and a Peavey Classic 30. Guitar sounds different but great through both of those.

P90's have been a real eye-opener for me in that I didn't expect them to work in such a universal fashion.

6. hipfan

hipfan Member

Bjorn - Not to stray too far from the orignal question, but I'm interested in the "speeding cap" you talk about. Can you give any more details as to values, what lugs it goes across, configuration, etc.? I love my P90 guitars, and this sounds like a cool mod if it expands the available tones. Thanks!

7. gururyan

gururyan Member

My hollowbody/P90 loves the MJM London Fuzz and the Banzai Cold Fusion. Unfortunately, my Strat doesn't feel the same about the Banzai and only gets about 70% of the "greatness" the P90's get with the London. But the MJM, by far, is my P90's favorite pedal.

8. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Thanks for your thoughts so far gentleman - interesting insights.

BJ - could I second that request for more info on what you mean by "speeding cap"? (Unless you mean the hat I has on when I went thru that speed trap the other day, in which case please disregard the question! :D )

Thanks
    chris

9. ReelBigSpikey

ReelBigSpikey Supporting Member

I've got a Gibson LP Special with p90's and a non-reverse Firebird with p90's, and there are a few pedals which I constantly find myself using. If I want to fatten up the p90's to go into humbucker territory a little bit, something like the Fulltone Fat-Boost or the Prescription Electronics Germ works great. For overdrive, the Rat works great. Tube-screamer type pedals have never really done it for me with the p90 pickups even though I love them with strats.

10. Leftee

Leftee Guest

I like TS type pedals with Strats, but not with HB's. I've not tried one with P90's but suspect that maybe I would find the same thing you did. I currently don't own a TS type pedal.

11. Damon

Damon Member