P90 VOS: LP Special or LP '56

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pcovers, Feb 20, 2009.

1. pcovers

pcovers Member

I am interested in feedback from anyone with experience playing either (or both) a Les Paul Special '60 VOS or a Les Paul '56 VOS. I really like a P90 guitar and seem to have narrowed my recent search down to one or the other of these two option. Thoughts or experiences would be great.

2. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

[​IMG]Do yourself a favor.......I owned a '54 & '56 VOS, go play one of these and then look at the fit & finish on all of them.....game over![​IMG]

3. pcovers

pcovers Member

Yea, the Collings 290 is on my list as well. Similarly, the Heritage H-137.

4. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Right out of the box, they're both great guitars... Possibly the best values in their line, IMO.

5. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

I prefer the Specials, always have. I like the sound of no maple top with P-90s. The other guitarist in our band in the '70s had a '56 Special and a Super Reverb. Great tone. I've liked them ever since. A goldtop is mucho cool, though and you just can't go wrong with either choice.

Thanks for giving me an excuse to post this picture again. It's a 2006 VOS Historic '60 Special.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  6. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

What's the neck profile like on the Collings? I've heard that the VOS Special is pretty beefy.

7. GregoryL

GregoryL Member

I went with the Collings 290 as well after checking out the VOS Special and R6. It's just a fantastic guitar.

The neck profile isn't huge, but it's a beefy C shape. More like an R0 than an R8 / R9.

8. somedude

somedude Member

I went with the R6. Killer guitar, though some day I'd also like either a P90 Special or a P90 SG.

R0 Special vs R6..... this is one of those decisions where I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

[​IMG]

9. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

I have an R6, which is probably my favorite guitar out of my collection of custom shop strat, teles, and Historic Gibsons. That said, I have played several single cut specials and I really do want one. They have a huge neck which I like and a chunkiness that the R6 doesn't have. They're a little more rough around the edges, sound-wise. There doesn't seem to be many of them around, though.

10. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I agree with Dave.I have been gassing for a P90 guitar.

:dude

11. bynt

bynt Member

I can speak for the 56. You gotta like meat on the neck or you'll hate it. I personally love it. I've got to say though, those in the know love thier Heritages and Colling's. I really dug the 56 though without having played the aforementioned two.