p90s for a semi-hollow?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JStizz, Jul 19, 2008.

1. JStizz

JStizz Member

so i just got my Yamaha Troy Van Leeuwen model and LOVE it! the three p90s are a really cool idea and combining the middle pickup with the neck and bridge, both in and out of phase, gives some really awesome tones. plus, the Bigsby is perfect. however, im pretty sure the neck and bridge pickups are the exact same. unfortunately, for a bridge pickup its pretty muddy. i need suggestions for some good replacements. i dont mind changing both neck and bridge, but the bridge has got to go. the middle pickup can stay, unless you can suggest something for that, too.

oh, and being that this is a semi-hollow it gets some crazy feedback at higher gain settings so pickups that will help that situation will help tons, but tone comes first.

Thanks in advance, TGP.

2. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I'm in the same position with a 3 pickup Peerless Wizard. Not a semi-hollow, a fully hollow, thinline take on the ES-5. The Rolph pickups are nothing truly special, and the middle and bridge one are the same. My first choice was Lollar or Lindy Fralin for rewind, but then kept hearing about a guy on the west coast, goes by the name Zhangliqun on the Les Paul forum, who does great works. Heard a clip from someone over there that convinced me. He'll do the rewinds.

There are so many qualified winders out there who can help you. You'll hear 20 different names, and probably all of them could do great pickups for you.

3. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

All three of these guys could do the job well! Lindy would be my first choice...

4. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

A friend has a '60 LP Jr., DC. When he bought it the pup was dead. Lindy Fralin did an incredible job on the rewind/repair.

5. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

I'm a huge fan of Fralin, I have a set of his P-90's and an ES-135 and they're fantastic. I have a 15% under neck and stock bridge which is Lindy's favorite and the balance is perfect.

He also makes killer Strat and Tele single coils and I have a set of Humbuckers on the way that I can't wait to test out.

6. mainsale

mainsale Member

I've had outstanding Luck with Jason Lollar's P-90's, and for that reason I would tend to go with what I know. Having said that I've also been very pleased with everything I've gotten from Lindy Fralin as well. In any event, I'd call them to make sure what guitar they are winding for, what your tonal preferences are and that it is three P-90's that work together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  7. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

It looks like a challenge to install pup's in that axe

I have recently bought a pair of Fralin's, and have nothing but good things to say about them.

stock bridge and 10% underwound neck in a solidbody PRS SE Soapbar. Nice sizzle and growl. Awesome harmonics