P90's for a Tele Deluxe

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by waxnsteel, Oct 26, 2005.

1. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

I want the "other" flavor of pickup, and was thinking I'd like to try them in my Tele Deluxe. Does anyone make P90's that fit in that oddly large sized humbucker hole in the pickguard, or would I just have to suck it up and rout, or get a new guard made for standard P90's? Anyone?

2. mainsale

mainsale Member

Lindy Fralin says his P-92 sounds like a noiseless P-90. I bought one and am in the process of putting it into my Am. Std. Tele. I'll let you know how it works out. So far it looks great!

3. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

But the big deal for me is will they fit? The humbuckers in the guitar now are quite a bit bigger than standard humbuckers.
    [​IMG]

4. mainsale

mainsale Member

Ah, I see what you mean....nevermind!

5. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Two things spring to my mind...

1st being that you could make a second pickguard routed for the smaller footprint pups - which anyway are fixed to the 'guard and not to the body itself. It would be a PITA to do the contrary (route the body to accept the wide range Fenders) so I don't see an issue here.

2nd... if you drop me a line and feel like going in that direction, I'll get you a set of Really Good Stuff

'Later!

JJ

6. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

Cool pickguard. I never thought of that colour for a pickguard but it really matches well with the colour of that guitar.

7. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

That's what I figured, I'd have to get a pickguard to fit tthe pickups. Pickguards are so overpriced, though! Labor my ass! But $90 bucks is a little over the top. And that was with a major hassle to boot. Looks like it'd be the only way. There's no way it'd need a body route, though. The Fenderbuckers are probably not much smaller than P90's, and those phat cat jobbies are definitely smaller.

I love that guard on that guitar. Blue is my color.

8. -kk-

-kk- Member

Id check out the bastard/ fat bastard from rio grande, tell them its for the tele dlx and maybe they can cobble together a custom version.

9. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Wax - those Fender wide range pickups are much BIGGER than anything else around. That's why I suggested just a pickguard change. You can buy a blank piece from Stewmac and have someone cut it to specs for you.
    I have a set of P90 in HB format (*not* phatcats) lying around, if you want to give them a spin.
    Best,

JJ

10. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Thanks for the tips, guys. Fat bastard. That's funny!

11. coyoteblue

coyoteblue Member

12. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

I remember having some issue with Warmoth when I was looking for the guard you see on the guitar. I ended up going with WD, and the screw holes didn't line up. So I sent it back with the guard I got with the guitar, and got butt-raped for a custom guard. I know I could have just screwed the guard into place, and no one would ever see the holes, I'm retarded sometimes. I think I may go with a standard P-90 on a new guard route if I ever get up and just do it. We'll see when we get there I suppose.