• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

P90's In A Strat?

I'm having some thoughts about a new project and I was wondering if any of you have had any success with a P90 in a Strat, specifically in the bridge position. Any pictures would be appreciated! $$$

ES330

a P90 in single coiled sized pickup just won't sound like a full P90s.
What you gain, you will loose any stratiness...
Plus it doesn't blend well with the other strat pickups..

If you have a tone control for your bridge,
I've had success with the Harmonic design super 90.
you will need a tone control for it.
but it's NOT a p90, nor a humbucker.

I ended up taking it out of my strat...
now thinking about routing my strat bridge for a real P90 or Humbucker...

a P90 in single coiled sized pickup just won't sound like a full P90s.
What you gain, you will loose any stratiness...
Plus it doesn't blend well with the other strat pickups..

If you have a tone control for your bridge,
I've had success with the Harmonic design super 90.
you will need a tone control for it.
but it's NOT a p90, nor a humbucker.

I ended up taking it out of my strat...
now thinking about routing my strat bridge for a real P90 or Humbucker...
I'm not talking about a Strat sized P90, but an actual P90. $$$

jay42

I have a parts strat with Lollar P90s, a USACG conversion neck (24 3/4") with a 12" radius, alder body. It's my go to for Beatles tunes. Were I to do it again, I would get an 11" radius fb instead. I lose track, but I think I have a Gotoh two point bridge in it.

[edit]Kenny Blue Ray, going as KBR here, has a number of strats with a P90 at the bridge and a strat pickup at the neck...no middle.

[edit for further explanations]I had two volumes for a long time and ended up changing to two tones. The pickguard and white covers are Chandler. Pau ferror fb and Sperzel tuners.

Last edited:
I have a parts strat with Lollar P90s, a USACG conversion neck (24 3/4") with a 12" radius, alder body. It's my go to for Beatles tunes. Were I to do it again, I would get an 11" radius fb instead. I lose track, but I think I have a Gotoh two point bridge in it.
Yes, a Lollar is what I was thinking of. Do you happen to have a picture? $$$

Mothman

FWIW, Richard Thompson has spent the better part of his career playing a custom Danny Ferrington-made strat that has a vintage soapbar at the neck, a standard Strat middle, and a 50's Tele at the bridge. He plays mostly in the 2 and 4 positions on the 5-way switch, and it sounds plenty Strat-y. The electronics are unique, too... no tone controls, just a volume for each pup.

Jesus freak

Silver Supporting Member
I once played a Samick with 2 P90's at a music store, (I was trying out an amp)
One of the nicest sounding Strats I've played. Aside from a reg SSS strat which I prefer.

Thanks everyone for your input! I'm just curious as I've had such great success with my Strat that has a Charlie Christian in the neck and a Filtertrom in the bridge, I'm just enjoying different pickups! $$$

Last edited:

django49

Try Duncan P-Rails. You can get SC, HB and P-90 out of a single pickup. Perfect sound from each? Well.....But very usable and versatile.

Last edited:
Check out Bill Asher guitar's Marc Ford model it is a great combo of a LP Jr and a strat. it has P90, callaham tremolo and a few hidden surprises.

cochese

I had a couple of Lindy Fralin P92's in my Tom Anderson Strat for awhile. Those are a P90 type hum canceling PU that fit in a humbucker spacing. Lindy also makes regular P90's as well. They sounded pretty cool. Not a LP Jr by any means but a tone you won't get out of a typical single coil. You should call Lindy. He's always been super helpful about stuff like this. I have those pickups in a PRS McCarty now and they sound great with that guitar as well. He will wind them to your taste.

Here's a clip:
http://chrisdelis.com/music/GTR%20samples/bass_wreck.mp3

Trending Topics