P90's In A Strat?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cat Clemons III, Sep 22, 2012.

1. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Supporting Member

I made this all mahogany strat body, added a USACG 25" scale neck, Lindy Fralin pups. One of my favorite guitars of all times. Finished in Tru-Oil.
    [​IMG]

2. Grady

Grady Windjammer

This is a guitar that Pete Biltoft (ie Vintage Vibe Guitars fame) built me several years ago.
    Those are his P90 soap bar ceramics that are overwound about 3%.
    Killer guitar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LPTyler and Rumble like this.
  3. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Not a strat per se, but the Reverend Jetstream 390 I just traded for is essentially that, a strat type construction with 3 soapbar P-90s. It is a chambered body, with a spruce top. That adds something cool and different to the sound. Otherwise, it's very strat like, same switching options, only with P90s. A very cool guitar, lots of great sounds.
    MD

4. Cat Clemons III

Cat Clemons III Member

Man that looks killer! Love the chrome covers. Pete is a super cool guy. $$$

5. Matt L

Matt L Member

I've got one in the works as we speak.....triple soapbars, alder Strat body, master vol, master tone, trad 5-way, pau ferro/black limba Tele neck......should be ready this week.

This is my latest, which actually has P90s in the neck and bridge, although they look like Jazzmaster pickups. It splits really well in the 2&4 positions with the lipstick tube, which also sounds great-

[​IMG]

Rumble and Grainslayer like this.
  6. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

^^^ I like this one! Tell us more.

7. MLC

MLC Member

Some very cool guitars posted here.
    I went in a slightly different direction with a P90 pickup in a Strat....

[​IMG]

It's a Jimmie Vaughan Strat with the stock neck pickup, a GFS Dream 90 in the middle, and a GFS "Cool Vintage" Lil' Puncher Tele pickup in the bridge.
    The whole project was an experiment, but it turned out to be a pleasant surprise and I've been getting some great tones out of this beast.

Definitely not for the purist.

8. StormJH1

StormJH1 Member

This is a pretty cool thread. Neat to see some of the weird combos people come up with. I used to mess around with throwing different pickups in my Squier Strat (b/c it was cheap), but never had great results. I remember the first time I even heard of a "Fat Strat" (basically a strat with a full-sized humbucker in the bridge) - now that's a pretty standard model Fender makes that you can find at Guitar Center.

9. KidArchitect

KidArchitect Member

o_O - really liking this thread!

I have a dual humbucker strat (back when they made Double Fat Strats) - i've been thinking about putting P90s in it, but didn't know if anyone else did this.

Inspiration - might have to grab some soon.

I saw Fralin P90s/P92s on here. Saw the duncan rail splitter. Any other recommendations?

Anything with wiring or routing that I would need to know if i wanted to swap my humbucks our for P90s?

10. tremayne007

tremayne007 Member

I have been considering putting one of Ron's P90's in the bridge position of my R/S.

Anyone have any experience with a single P90 in bridge position, coupled with 2 single coils?

11. Cat Clemons III

Cat Clemons III Member

This is more what I'm going for. I basically want to do one like the guitar I posted earlier with a CC in the neck and a lipstick in the middle and a P90 in the bridge. $$$

12. phusana

phusana Member

I have one of these, great guitar!

[​IMG]

13. Modulator

Modulator Member

Now you got me thinking and wondering what a strat sounds like with a filtertron on the bridge. I love my gretsch with filtertrons and have been thinking about putting an eclectic pickguard on my strat+, but never even thought about filtertrons til now. got any clips somewhere? was the PU hard to mount in the strat? I imagine it had to go through the back instead of sitting on the pickguard.

Beautiful setup! I bet it sounds so badassed!

14. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

The never-ending project...
    [​IMG]

Kalalau Hiker likes this.
  15. Cat Clemons III

Cat Clemons III Member

I was the same way, I had a Gretsch that I loved the sound of and I decided that would be a cool way to go for the bridge pickup. It's actually a Lollartron pickup and it fits in a regular humbucker route, so that makes it a bit easier to work with and it sounds incredible! And yea here's a little video screwing around with that guitar, so you can kind of get an idea of how it sounds. It really is a somewhere in between a Gretsch and a Tele. The only thing I've changed on this guitar now is that I put in a 3 Way switch, deactivated the lipstick pickup, and made the middle position the CC and Filtertron in parallel like on a Tele. $$$

16. Cat Clemons III

Cat Clemons III Member

Wow, check out those pickup covers! $$$

17. Glenharris1971

Glenharris1971 Member

Is this a clip of the Fralin humbucker sized P90 or P92? It is a glorious tone!

18. Grainslayer

Grainslayer Member

Wow...That looks like the start of something very awesome....

19. cochese

cochese Member

Yes, the P92's. Of course the amp was a 66 Bassman modded with the Trainwreck circuit and that helped as well. Great pickups. I've had the in a couple of guitars.

Glenharris1971 likes this.
  20. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member