• Supporting Membership Changes

The Supporting Memberships are currently being updated moving forward.

In order to coordinate giveaway drawings to the Supporting Members there will be a new alignment in the naming of the tiers. (Note: Non-Supporting (Basic) and Monthly Supporting Members can get into the drawings by mailing a postcard. Details on that will follow with a giveaway starting soon).

The pricing for each Supporting Membership level remains the same though the naming of them will change. The privileges remain the same as current but with the new name. If you are a current Supporting Member, you will be upgraded automatically for the existing term of your Supporting Membership. We are introducing a new tier with new perks.

Table here

Supporting Membership Guide

• Monthly Supporting Members will remain Supporting Members
    • Current annual Supporting Members will now be Silver Supporting Members. Perks and permissions remain the same
    • Current Silver Supporting Members will now be Gold Supporting Members
    • Current Gold Supporting Members will now be Platinum Supporting Members
    • A new level will be created - Double Platinum Supporting Members

All memberships will now have the option to remain as non-recurring memberships or choose reccuring memberships moving forward. *Note: current memberships will NOT be changed to recurring memberships.

P90s: Staple vs Pole?

rubbersoul

As has been mentioned by others, a staple pickup in the neck and a regular P90 in the bridge is a wonderful combination. In my LP Special, I have a Harmonic Design in the bridge and a Thorn GT90 in the neck...sounds glorious.

vortexxxx

Supporting Member
Vintage staples would likely have been a bit under wound just as the early P-90s were.

The Staple design is very close to a Dearmond Dynasonic if you look under the pickup. I don't know which came first but both have magnets that are attached to holders that let's you lift or lower the magnet. In terms of mechanical complexity, both are among the more complex pickup designs and both have quite a following for their sound.

zhivago

Is the staple less loud than the P-90? I play 175s with P-90s and would like to try a staple in the neck. However, the bridge pickup currently is not as loud as the neck due to the string vibrations. I wouldn't want the staple to overpower.
Staples are very powerful pickups, mine is waaaay louder than the P90 on my bridge. I have the staple's magnets way down to balance it with the P90.

edward

Supporting Member
Is the staple less loud than the P-90? I play 175s with P-90s and would like to try a staple in the neck. However, the bridge pickup currently is not as loud as the neck due to the string vibrations. I wouldn't want the staple to overpower.
YES, with regard to the Lollar Staple and the stock P90 out of my R4, the staple not only has slightly less output, but is less "beefy" especially with regard to the bottom end, and has more "air" and clarity on the top end. As I had mentioned, while not a wholly different timbre from the Gibs P90, the Lollar brings similar tone/dynamics, just more "optimized" (er, less output and slightly thinner, if you will) for a neck position. At least that's my take on my guitar with my setup.

And since others have shared a pic, I don't want to be left out ;)

Edward

Last edited: