P90's that fit in standard bucker holes

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jeff Hitman, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Jeff Hitman

Jeff Hitman Supporting Member

Looking for a pair of P90's to fit in standard bucker sized holes on a 335. I know HD makes the Z90, interested in what other options are out there.

Also... does anyone make a dogear that will cover a bucker sized hole?
    Thanks,
    -J

2. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

don't know of any dog ears, but duncan makes the phat cat.

3. hipfan

hipfan Member

Wolfe of Wolfetone pickups does a great bridge P90 that is designed to fit in a humbucker route. The end product looks somewhat like a dogear. AFAIK, he is the only one putting a 100% "true" P90 in a humbucker slot.

Wolfe made me one for a Squier Bluesbird copy guitar, and it performs *exactly* like what it is supposed to - a P90! Now, I need to find a better guitar to drop it into.

As for bucker-shaped P90's, I really haven't played any, but Dave Stephens' Kay Bar looks like an interesting option. SD Kay Bar

I have some of Dave's soapbar P90's, and they sound great.

4. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Out of curiosity, what is he doing that the other makers are not?

I tore apart an old P-90 I had laying around (lying around?) and one of the Gibson P-94s I love so much (note to Jeff - I *highly* recommend the Gibby P-94! it sounds great) and other than size and a metal baseplate, I couldn't see that they were made much differently than each other.

--chiba

5. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I really don't know much about them other than what I've read, but I know that Jim Soloway is using DiMarzio Bluesbuckers in some of his guitars. They're supposed to have a "P90 thing" going on.

As far as Dogears, if you mount them using ariser, like Gibson does on its 295, you can make a riser that is sufficiently large enough to cover the humbucker route, and it'll look like it's been there forever.

I had a humbucker 175 that was retrofitted for dogears in this manner, and it looked "original" to the guitar.

6. Jeff Hitman

Jeff Hitman Supporting Member

That's the best idea I've heard yet, making risers.
    thanks!
    -J

7. erksin

erksin Member

Rio Grande Fat Bastard
    Bill Lawrence (forget the model)

Jeff - I've owned the P-94s and swapped them in favor of the Z-90s. There is a significant difference in the tones, and the Z-90s came out on top for me. They sound absolutely killer overdriven and clean (I didn't like the P-94s clean tones at all - sounded very 'flat' to me, not much character). The Z-90 neck pup is probably the best unit I've ever heard.

If you're still using vintage amps like me, the Z-90s work very well with them. My Gibson, Fender, Magnatone, and Ampeg combos LOVE these pups...

8. hipfan

hipfan Member

I think that's exactly the difference. Wolfe's are the same size and everything, as a regular P90. He doesn't alter the design at all. The only thing different is the cover/housing that he uses to adapt the pickup to the humbucker opening.

9. brocktoon

brocktoon Member

I recommend the hd z90's very highly. I put them in my mcarty hollowbody recently and I just love them. Very smooth and even, but no mud at all (through a blackface fender-y amp - haven't tried them through many amps yet). I know you specifically asked about OTHER pickups, but I couldn't keep my trap shut about these.

10. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Haeussel P90HB.
    Transparent, high output, with just a slight hint of grittiness.

www.haeussel.com

Write to yours truly if you need more info...!

Best regards,

JJ

11. BadJaxx

BadJaxx Member

other bucker size P90s are...GFS, Rio Grande, and Kent Armstrong...

an actual P90 will not fit in a humbucker cover...they are longer... therefore the design has to be altered somewhat...