P90's, Volume, Tone, Switches

A while ago after reading threads on clean tone, headroom, pedals and pedal stacking, I decided to try using the controls on my Fender Novena Stratocaster as well as my pedals while keeping the gain and master levels on my Mesa Fillmore 25 around noon. Until now I've had the volume and tone controls on the guitar set to ten. To my surprise I'm finding more tones available giving me more control over my sound. I've read about the relationship between P90's and the guitars control pots but its another thing to actually experience it. I'm probably preaching to the choir but I'm just having fun playing the guitar and these forums help.

gtrnstuff

I had been playing for decades before I really started using the guitar controls to good advantage.
Sometimes just going from 10 to 9 makes a really useful difference, a little less edge.
And it works for any passive pickups, not just P-90s.

I'm looking forward to trying it with my Tele today. Glad you mention incremental changes. I noticed that small increments make a difference as you confirmed. The one thing that prevented me from using the guitar controls was I thought turning up the volume would just make it louder but distortion is actually saturated which is what I've been trying to achieve all along with pedals alone.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom