PA as home stereo

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by rsm, Oct 30, 2017.

1. rsm

rsm Member

I have an old Sony shelf system that I use for my CDs, then started to do bluetooth streaming to my AMPLIFi 150. I picked up an Alto PA system a few months ago for use with my synth rigs so I have greater stereo separation than with my Bose L1.

Digging through my adapters, cables etc. I found a 1/8" TRS to dual XLR cable, plugged it into my computer's audio - wow! The Sony shelf system is gathering dust, the AMPLIFi 150 is used with my Helix or out on the porch.

Sounds much better than my nearfields ;)

...and the sub will shake the dishes out of the cabinets...

anyone else doing this?

2. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Supporting Member

I bet the dispersion is fantastic, but I can't imagine a PA system sounding better than good hifi speakers or studio monitors.

rsm and stratjim like this.
  3. Springfieldscooter

Springfieldscooter Member

I have a neighbor that does this outdoors.
    Sounds loud and good from here.
    I live in a cool neighborhood...
    A dead end street, in an otherwise very busy part of town.
    8 houses total, with 2 bars at the end of the street that sometimes have live music events.
    Ive got 1 neighbor that plays his PA outdoors at loud levels, another neighbor that plays music indoors at loud levels, and then me playing a 100 watt marshall in the basement /garage.
    Somehow everyone manages, and no one complains.
    I guess that's why Ive stayed in one spot for over 25 years!
    Some warm summer day, Im going to send my drone up, and take some killer video of the entire neighborhood co-existing, rockin their own venues.

rsm and 2016aug29 like this.
  4. cpa2guitar

cpa2guitar Gold Supporting Member

Yes - 43 years ago I used a pair of Cerwin Vega V-30 PA speakers for my stereo. Since the V-30s had a horn but no tweeters, my stereo was missing presence, but the V-30s still sounded better than any true stereo speakers I could have afforded back then. Did that for a few months, then our lead singer bought a pair of V-36s for our PA and left these at my house since that is where our band practiced. The V-36s had an 18" woofer, a horn, and several tweeters. Was not hi fidelity, but my stereo rocked with those speakers!

Time passed, money became less tight, and today I run my stereo through a pair of Revel Ultima Studios, which are great. Still, I fondly remember how it sounded with those V-36s.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    rsm likes this.
  5. cpa2guitar

Cool neighborhood. You are fortunate. Living in the most ritzy, upscale neighborhood is not nearly as nice as living in a neighborhood with cool neighbors who are tolerant and pleasant.

Springfieldscooter likes this.
  6. Springfieldscooter

Its not ritzy or upscale here!
    Modest at best....
    But very comfortable !

rsm likes this.
  7. cpa2guitar

A modest neighborhood with cool neighbors is a MUCH better place to live than an upscale neighborhood with very uncool neighbors. Good people trump material things ever time!

Sounds like you have found a great place to live.

Keep on rockin'.

Springfieldscooter likes this.
  8. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

I kinda went the other way. A pair of Altec A7-500s were my home stereo speakers, and then they became the bands PA speakers.
    Back in those days, (late '70s,> early '80s,)) we thought gear like that was normal.
    I liked them,, they had good sound, and didn't need a lot of power.

Hurricane and rsm like this.
  9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I have done it. I am loathe to leave $3500 worth of boxes hanging out in my living room though. It sounded amazing.

rsm likes this.
  10. rsm

rsm Member

My Alto rig was much less; well under $1K for 2 TS210 + 1 TS212S from idjNow. They have great package prices and regular sales.

Multicellular likes this.
  11. outlawten5

outlawten5 Member

I run my TS212's hooked up to my laptop thru a small 8 channel board. Sounds killer

derekd and rsm like this.
  12. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

Hey man , how's the island style life today :

I mentioned in an other post you had started on P.A.s of my Mackie FreePlay
    as a consideration to think on for your live music performance .

I use my FreePlay all the time as a monitor on my computer and also to watch
    movies on my TV it is that good a sounding system . As a near field monitor
    they rip seriously good sounds , real deal reference level critical sounds .
    I'm saving for a sub woofer , can't hardly wait to hear movies with this arrangement .

To answer your question - :dudeoh hell yeah I do use my P.A. for listening at home , always have ,
    see below *

Hello sharpshooter :

* I had a pair of those Altec horns paired with a pair of Peavey single folder horn with a 15" Black Widow .
    I used them to at home for my sound system when not gigging - why not ! With them I had all
    sorts of other cool high end med and Hi Hz speakers and cross over . My place was the place to BE
    when not gigging on week ends .

Now I can't rage like before - the neighbors would have a cow and flip out . All the big stuff I sold anyway .

But - ( aside from a bigger P.A. I have ) I have this really super nice sounding stereo P.A. portable that is
    serious business . Read above

EZ fellow musicians :

HR

rsm likes this.
  13. cadduc

cadduc Member

Yes, at one time,
    A-7s driven by a mac preamp and a 2300 power amp
    that was fun
    when we saw the door to door evangelists coming up the street, it was time to put the Fugs or The Mothers of Invention on, and turn it up,
    we needed to isolate the turntable in a different room than the A-7s so it would track properly at higher volumes

14. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Not an entire PA but I hook up a bluetooth adaptor to one of PA mains (EV ZLX12P 1000 Watt 12" main) and it kicks ass.

rsm likes this.
  15. chichi

chichi Member

I did it all the time. have 2 sets now. One for listening to music. The other pair are part of 7.1 home theater/karaoke system. Both with 15" woofers and big horns.

Pro: sounds BIG and HUGE!!!!Wall of sound - - This is my main reason of using them. If I listen to music from PA speakers then go to listen to more music from my vintage audio systems (with 12" woofers and dome tweeters) right away, I feel they sound tinny and small. I won't have that feeling if I listen to them first. Just picture you listen to music from home stereo system first, then go to listen to music from a smaller boombox right away.

Cons:
    1. Many PA speakers high frequencies are only up to 16~17K Hz. I have to modify the crossover and add horn tweeters to go up to 20K Hz and beyond. Some people may debate most people cannot hear frequencies that high so it doesn't matter. Not me, I can tell the big differences. Sometimes it just affects the "feel" of overall speaker frequency range performance, nothing related to my ears can hear that high or not.
    2. Some PA speakers used as home stereo do not sound good to my ears. For example, certain PA speakers may emphasize too much on human voice's frequency range. The other big complaint is from those PA speakers with very high SPL rating (e.g., 115~120dB). They become "pressure to eardrums" at home. But high SPL may sound adequately at large and noisy outdoor events. The other example is from the experience that I used to have a pair of EV speakers with 18" woofers. They do not have high SPL but have the same "pressure to eardrums" problem in the room, even turn the volume low. All I can say is they generate too much sound waves for the size of the room.
    3. If you use power amps for PA, so many of them have loud fans. I believe their designers only care if they can be cooled down effectively in the concert venue, noise does not matter due to they are placed behind the stage
    4. Many PA systems generate "hiss" louder than normal home stereos. Not good for listening to quieter music.
    In conclusion, to me PA as home stereo is very do-able, but only with the right components.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    rsm likes this.
  16. Springfieldscooter

idjNow ???

Just wondering?

Got a link?

Thanks in advance.

rsm likes this.
  17. rsm

rsm Member

18. Multicellular

Multicellular Silver Supporting Member

I do this, also with Alto 210s. I do give it a little eq adjustment to sound more like a hifi system, little high and a little low bass attenuation. I inherited some nice old components from my grandpa, but they eventually started blowing parts too often. I guess I miss the slightly more affected sound of them, but the Altos just sound too good for me to care to look for others.

rsm likes this.
  19. Mark Ray

Mark Ray We're Jammin' Gold Supporting Member

While I have a pretty decent home stereo rig with conventional components, I have used some PA for a few events such as company picnics and such. I took my Yamaha 1000 watt powered stereo mixer and a pair of JBL passive 15" w/horn speakers. Played cd's from a Discman and the thing can kick some serious a$$! The eq on the mixer lets me dial in tone that isn't harsh, and there is plenty of volume as well as bass even though I didn't have a sub.

rsm likes this.