PA Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by silencer eleven, Jun 4, 2008.

1. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

Hey, I may be starting a venue that is a pretty good size, and I'm looking to price out a PA. I'll needing 32 channels, and the room is approximately 3600 sq. ft. with probably 20 foot high ceilings. I know very little about PA's, but I wanna try and go high quality, while keeping the cost not too high. I would try and buy most things second hand, and looking to try and keep it under 15k tops 20k. If you can school me on PA gear that would be great. We would be doing mostly rock shows, but would like it to work with all different genres.

Thanks

Evan

2. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Behringer B300s and newer (B?15 series) are good, clean sounding cpu monitored speaker.

3. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

I respect your opinion, Solitaire, but I would never recommend that someone invest that much money into Behringer.

If you've got that kind of money, you should be able to afford the mixer you require, an upper-mid-grade JBL speaker system, a DBX Driverack, and well over 10,000 thousand watts of power.
    [​IMG] JBL MRX525 Dual 15" 2-Way Loudspeaker Pair = $1900/pair = $4000

JBL MRX528S Dual 18" Subwoofer Pair = $2000

dbx DriveRack 260 with RTA-M Reference Mic =$1000

[​IMG] Allen & Heath GL2400-32 Live Console = $2500

[​IMG] QSC PLX3602 Professional Power Amplifier x4 = $4800

There ya go! A killer house PA for $14,300.

Need more? Get another pair of the MRX525's and another pair of subs. It'll Still be under $20K

4. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

Am I undershooting your venue size requirements? The whole square footage thing is difficult for me to work with.

5. FAC

FAC Member

I STRONGLY recommend that you contact a local sound reinforcement company for advice, because there are so many potential pitfalls when putting together a "high quality but low price" sound system...no offense, but these are not questions to be answered on a guitar forum. Be careful. You're talking about a big investment. Do you know any sound engineers who could help you choose the system?

If you want to have club-level national touring acts, then you'll need a system that can pass their technical riders...berringer speakers will not pass a typical rider, for example. If it is just local bands, then the name brand is less important, but you're running the risk of getting some dodgy equipment.

edit: just saw deville's post. Decent stuff, there. But keep in mind you still need a monitor system, mics (you could easily spend $4K on mics alone...), mic cables, speaker cables, effects, a snake or two, etc. If it is for national club level acts, you'll likely need a separate monitor desk, a splitter of some kind, and a rack of graphic eq's (basically double the price of what was quoted, above).

second edit: don't forget about the power requirements for something of this size...you could easily drop $5K having the appropriate wiring put in.

third edit: what about lights?

6. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

Ya, wiring and re-doing power is being taken care of. Also, I need to be putting cables, mic's, stands and monitor equipment into the equation. Also lighting is a yes. Basically the run down is, I know a guy that I met through my business who has a lot of money, he owns over 9,000 acres which includes a large lake, RV resort, ponds, mountain biking trails, everything you can think of. Anyways he has a 3,600 square foot rectangular metal building. He is having it spray insulated, and AC put in, also the building is being re-wired and equiped with the proper powering capabilities. I could probably stretch things to 30k 40k would be the absolute max. This includes lighting, monitor systems, and possibly stage although I know some people who have built them for legitimate venues so lets not include that at this point. We will be wanting to do legitimate national acts at this venue. We are expecting it to cap at anywhere from 800-1,000 although that is a rough estimate. At this point, we are anticipating needing an extra mixing console for the monitor mix. And I will be trying to get most everything in the used market.

Thanks

Evan

7. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

how are EAW PA speakers?

8. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

EAWs are great.

I use Meyer Sound CQ1 and CQ2 mains, and 700 hp subs. They are self-powered and insanely good. There is an amazing club in Lake Tahoe that uses a similar system and they have bands like Joe Bonamassa and Los Lonely Boys. They use a Midas board, etc., but the Meyers and a good analog board should suffice. For monitors I would look at the PRX Jbls.

9. DC1

DC1 Member

Call a pro.

The only thing worse than spending 30K, is pounding 30K down a rathole and then calling a pro anyway. You have no IDEA how many things can go wrong. If they go right it is because someone made them go right, at every step of the process.

I design systems and studios, and I think getting advice on TGP for this is like getting legal advice from Jerry Springer.

DC

10. FAC

FAC Member

+1000000000

bring in a pro. And, try to get some of the technical riders of the bands you want to book, so the pro has an idea of what the baseline needs to be. Some touring acts have their riders on the web, but a quick call to their management will do the trick (they are usually happy to fax or e-mail you a rider). I designed and installed systems about 12 years back and was a touring FOH engineer for 5 years (not in the game anymore). Listen to DC1.

Also, regarding the power...you should already know what system is going in there BEFORE they wire it for power, so you know you've got the right setup. A bunch of outlets is not going to do it, especially if you're adding lights to the equation.

11. dave s

dave s Member

If your rig is going to be a permanent installation, I would certainly seek out professional advice to spec gear, purchase gear and install gear.

dave

12. bigredguy

bigredguy Member

you can call a pro and buy it once

or

do it yourself and buy it twice

and never buy behringer (except the ADAT converter):)