1. Foorever

Foorever Member

I have ordered a 2000 DCM Carvin poweramp because our 1000 wasn't enough in our 4 piece rock band.

I was wondering.. if i have 4 - 8 ohm speakers (2 carvin 15s and 2 new peavey mains), is that ok to run in bridged mode? it would be 4 ohms correct?

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Dnt know if the amp can handle it but its a 2 ohm load. 4-8 ohm speakers in parallel = 2 ohms

3. Foorever

Foorever Member

Well my current DCM1000 says it runs 2ohms fine. I don't want to run 2 ohms though. How is the best way to hook the DCM2000 up? I could run two speakers in each of the two channels instead of bridging it. so there would be two 8 ohm speakers in each channel

4. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

If you bridge the amplifier the lowest recommended impedance will be doubled. So in your case if each channel is rated for 2Ω minimum, then bridged it'll be 4Ω. And this will be too low. So I'd suggest doing what you say in your last post.

5. zydeco papa

zydeco papa Member

If the Carvin 15s are subs and you are using passive (speaker level) crossovers, the impedances will not interact except where the crossover overlaps. This is done with entry level pro PAs to simplify operation and reduce the number amps ($) needed.

If the Carvins are full range, then you should run the 2 Carvins on one channel and the new Peaveys on the other channel. Your amp will sound better (less distortion) if you don't bridge it anyway.

Are you using these all for mains? I avoid mixing different speakers like that.