PA Question

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Madsman, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Madsman

Madsman Member

You have a very small room, with very high ceilings. You will seat 100 or less, and have no need of portability. You want to be able to put cds through the PA, as well as pump vocals and keys, and when the band is loud, guitars, bass, and drums through the PA.

I stress again, portability is not a concern, and on some occasions, you will need to run a band through the PA to keep the room mix working, so nothing specifically gets buried.

You might prefer to buy in phases... like start with mains, then subs, then yadda yadda.

You don't want to break the bank, but you will pay what you have to, in order to make the mix passable.

What do you buy?

2. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

3. James M

James M Silver Supporting Member

There are some pretty solid Peavey and Yamaha package deals (mixer or board, power amps, mains, monitors, cables, etc.) on Musicians Friend and Guitar Center...I've had good experiences with both brands.

4. reddgeetarzan

reddgeetarzan Supporting Member

Mackie stuff has worked well for me.

Yorkville stuff is great too.

5. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I have purchased for our business, both Peavey and Yamaha, and have had zero issues. This is always a portable setup, so they get banged around some, and have held up great. Along with the Carvin suggestion, that is where I would look first if putting together what you are talking about.

6. tone4days

tone4days Member

hmm ... you say very small room - dimensions? shape? ..... you say high ceilings - height? shape (e.g. angled? flat? irregular?) ... and what about wall surfaces? - highly reflective? sound absorbing? other? ... what about the floor? carpeted? wood? concrete? other? ...

and then you say 'loud' ... hmmm ... really? ... in a very small room? ... any way to temper that?

also, any way to 'fly' the rig up in that high ceiling pointing down at the crowd?

if not, any possibility of some kind of installation of a baffle, etc to 'cut off' the high air space above the room?

tell us more and we can help more

also, do you need stage monitors in addition to FOH?

lastly, what kinda music? bass heavy dance music? just straight rock? other?

7. speakerjones

speakerjones Member

I would probably go with a pair of FBT Maxx40a powered speakers with 2 of their companion subs, a small soundcraft or allen and heath mixer with built in effects and a dbx 1/3rd octave eq. For monitors, Yamaha club series 12" powered by QSC PLX amps and more dbx eq's. If you can go for all powered stuff, it saves space with not having to have amp racks around and the built in amplifiers are matched to the drivers with built in protection so you don't have to worry as much about blowing them up. Along with a few SM58's, a kick drum mic, a few DI boxes, stands and cabling, you should be in good shape.

8. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

Yamaha makes the nicest sounding PA mains on a budget I've heard. Had the carvin stuff and returned it. No i'm using a pair of yamaha mains (BR15s) with a soundcraft gigrac (500x2 watts). With a pair of mics and some misc stuff, i got it all from GC for about $1100, back in the haggling days.