PA Questions

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by ANGUS_DOUG, Mar 24, 2015.

1. ANGUS_DOUG

ANGUS_DOUG Member

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger for PA system but want to make sure Im getting whats right for us we are a 5 piece AC/DC tribute band wanting to do outdoor gigs 500-700 people in a tight area. I am also on a very tight budget under 3k. I am looking at the Carvin systemhttp://www.carvinguitars.com/products/RX1200L-2153
    and adding 4 monitors will this be enough? Ive read threads where alot of people are saying 1000 watts are enough but not sure if they mean total watts or per side will the 2x15s be enough for mains? also I understand the ohms thing but when you add speakers does it reduce the wattage? any help will be appreciated

2. B Money

B Money Member

woah, that's a BIG gig. Playing AC/DC tunes for 500-700 people outdoors, you're going to need a LOT of firepower. You're definitely not going to get there with a 3k budget, nevermind the fact that you need someone experienced to run a show that big.
    Do you also have a budget for lighting? That's going to be a large expense that you don't want to scrimp on.

My advice would be to use your 3k budget to hire a production company to provide PA and lights for your shows.

<edit> My post is not meant to be snarky, hope it doesn't come off that way. It's just that sometimes musicians tend to underestimate the amount of gear and talent required to provide a large scale production like you're describing.

3. lschwart

lschwart Member

It's going to be difficult to put together anything adequate for heavy metal outdoors to 500-700 people on that budget, and that Carvin system is not going to be adequate. Does the pay situation allow you to rent until you can study up on what you really need (renting can help with that) before you lay out the money?

Louis

4. Badside

Badside Member

I've played outdoor gigs with 200-300 persons where we had 4 JBL PRX subs and 4 JBL PRX tops and it frankly wasn't enough. And yet that's much more than 3K$, especially factoring in the mixer and the stage monitors.

Anything more than a 100-120 person bar where a pair of PRX subs and tops won't do, we just hire out.
    Sure, you could "get heard" with less, meaning unclear distorted vocals, and instruments mostly coming from the stage, blasting the front row while the people in the back can barely make out what's happening. But why?

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Not even remotely close. In general 2 x 15 mains don't sound very good, and budget ones sound terrible. You're not going to get anywhere near enough power out of a powered mixer to do an outdoor show. Honestly, that wouldn't even be very good for an indoor show. For convincing AC/DC you're going to need subs and for 700 people outdoors, your budget wouldn't even buy you enough sub to get the job done.

If it were me, unless you can come up with another $10,000, I'd get something with 12" powered tops and subs for bar gigs and rent for outdoor shows.

6. modulusman

modulusman Member

You would need about 10x the power and budget to do it right for that many people outside.

7. 335guy

335guy Member

Yeah, for large outdoor events, your best bet is to hire out the sound, staging and lights.

Not only that, but it is a LOT of work setting up all the necessary gear and packing it up after the event. These types of things are best left to sound/production companies.

8. loudboy

loudboy Member

9. Moxsam

Moxsam Member

Don't listen to these guys. Get yourself a Bose L1.

10. jimfist

jimfist Member

pay a live sound professional to scour the used gear pages and put together a system consisting of older, bigger, heavier, but fully functioning discrete (horn loaded) 2x 15 bass bins, mid cabs, horns, power amps, and crossover. You'll need a truck and able bodies to lug the stuff. I'm thinking $2500 would do the trick and $500 for the sound tech if he feels sorry for you as a finder's fee. It won't be sleek or sexy, but if it's good gear it will work and cover large audiences. People are almost giving this stuff away. about 10 years ago I was moving and literally left a pair of unloaded double 15" bass bins out on the curb with a "FREE" sign on them. It took 2 weeks before they were gone.

or you rent and up the rate you charge.

or save up and do it right.

or require provided PA as part of your gig requirements.

JMHO

11. MLG Audio

MLG Audio Member

:rotflmao

12. Belmont

Belmont Member

for a 700 person show, 3K would be the (modest) budget to rent PA/Lights/crew for one night.
    my PA was worth about 30K and was good for about 300 people, I did 500 people shows but it was lacking.
    reality check time.

13. sants

sants Supporting Member

A friend's band has that same head and it clips very easily. I wouldn't use it for anything larger than a small bar. It runs out of gas quickly

you'd be better off getting a big power amp and old JBL srx cabs with passive mixer

14. sbrett

sbrett Member

We probably have a little over $13K worth of PA and lights, and we can't handle 500-700 people outdoors even in a tight area and especially not for rock music. As suggested, rent out. You might be able to get one or two shows out of that $3K.

15. loudboy

loudboy Member

16. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Member

I used to use some Black Widow loaded Peavey SP-1's back in the early 90's that were high SPL and could really move some air. You could probably pick up a couple pair of those for a few hundred since nobody wants them anymore. 2 pair of those on a high stage, maybe even stacked, and a couple of CS-800 amps might get it done.

17. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

If you lived closer (you don't, I'm in Canada) our drummer has our old PA for sale. It's an old Martin Triamp system. Dual 18" bins, mid bins and tops. Ancient and heavy, but it worked pretty good, and we used it for years.

You should be able to find something used as others have said, or hire out, as others have also said.

18. jimfist

jimfist Member

Yup. It was one size fits all back then, whether the club held 150 or 500 people. Sometimes we'd augment with extra bass bins if needed, but I'd say that from the early 1980s through the mid-late 1990s, this would be the type of rig you'd see in most bars, in some way, shape, or form. There has to be a ton of this stuff stockpiled. Either that, or they've been scrapped for firewood or landfill.

Here's more fodder:

These horns and mid cabs: http://www.auduo-1.com/newgoods/I-J/JBL/2446J/002.jpg

These bass bins: http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/djhose/4520jbl-1.jpg

and the whole enchilada: http://s245.photobucket.com/user/colint_photo/media/vintageJBL.jpg.html

19. 335guy

335guy Member

Our band got these from a JBL dealer in LA in 1972. Those cast metal horns were heavy, not to mention the huge drivers that were attached to them. They got drug around all over the country for years. Always worked.

[​IMG]