PA recommendations for basement studio

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by chrisalecia, Feb 9, 2012.

1. chrisalecia

chrisalecia Member

I did some searching in this section before I started this thread and really didn't come up with anything.

We are a band that plays for fun in my basement. We are looking to purchase a new PA system that can handle minimum 3 microphones and have inputs for maybe 2 acoustic guitars and/or keyboard. Drums and guitar/bass amps will run by themselves. Should have 2 decent monitors. We won't be recording.

Any recommendations? Budget is under $1000.

2. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Supporting Member

The monitors and a powered mixer with built in effects is pretty much all you need to be honest. My band has been practicing with three monitors and a Yamaha EMX 512 for years.

3. Birddog

Birddog Member

I have the cheaper Yamaha package that I got from Musician's Friend years ago. It came with 12' mains, cords, tripods, mics, and the PA. It's what my band has used for practice at my house for YEARS. It's been flawless and sounds great. By comparison, the Behringer stuff I looked at was made much more cheaply. The Yamaha package was right around 1000 bucks, and well worth it.

We play very loudly, with a hard-hitting drummer, and this more than does the job at 1/2 volume.

I'm guessing I've had it about 7-8 years, and have only replaced one main speaker cord, and that's because the end broke off when the dog knocked the tripod over. (the speaker survived -- very tough).

We even use the 12" mains for extra monitors at some gigs, so they've been hauled around and abused, with no damage to show for it.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-Yamaha-EMX512SC---S115V-PA-Package-482658-i1397119.gc

Edit: Okay, it's 1300 bucks, but way better than anything in that price range.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  4. loudboy

loudboy Member

The Yamaha EMX-512c is a great powered mixer.

That and a pair of used Yamaha Club Series 12xHF cabinets would be great in the basement.

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

6. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

I would suggest the Fender Passport. Small footprint. Great sound for vox and keys.
    Perfect for the basement. The 250 should work unless you guys have really loud amps & drums. Then the 500 might be in order.

7. mcv

mcv Member

this!
    i have the 300w version and it does the job great! never turn it past 1/2 on the vol. and it sounds great. has nice efx. too, like reverbs, delays, compressor, etc....
    great unit for band practice and small live gigs.

8. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I have the same Yamaha mixer. Love it

9. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

Any thoughts on the Carvin PA's? They have some reasonable packages...just wondering, as I'll be using the setup the OP is asking for help with 8^)