PA Snake Question???

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jokerjkny, Nov 8, 2004.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

a bit of a noob question, but in some snakes there's a 1/4" input, usually a set of 4. pretty sure they're usually balanced.

my question is, are these 1/4" inputs "Speaker cable" friendly? could i send at least 300 watts into them?

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

No. Speaker cable and instrument or line cables are different.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

hmm...

then, is there any possiblity of having a snake built with speaker cabling and 1/4" inputs built in?

4. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

As said the cable usually provided is mic/line cable and not suitable for 300 watts of speaker power.

They are usually deigned to be the return feeds to on-stage amps for the main PA and monitors.

Yes you could get a snake made up with speaker leads built in but it would not be good to have a long cable run for this and there is also apossiblity of interference onto the mic level signals.

A best option is to have the snake purely for mic inputs and line level outputs and keep all of you power amps at the stage end of the snake.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

thx Gary!

:dude

only problem is, the PA i'm helping with is one of those annoying "all in one", so i cant really do what you're suggesting. guess its time to break out the 100 fts. :rolleyes:

6. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

I have the same problem, I have the Yamaha all in one desk and usually keep it by the side of the stage with a max of 50ft speaker cable runs.

It is helpful though to have a 12 way snake for the drum mics and at least it keeps the individual mic cables nice and short.