1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

PA Speaker Mains

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Melodic Dreamer, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

The youth sanctuary I'm working in is looking for new speakers. The Peavey speakers we were using blown. I'm looking to get some ideas on a decent set of 15's.
    We might be looking for the box and all. Basically something good but not outragious.
    Would Carvin be okay?

2. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Well how many watts are you sending to the speakers? This could be why you blew the Peaveys. You might want to just replace the speakers you've blown, and be more careful with the wattage that you send to them. Or you could upgrade them to better speakers and use the enclosures you already have.

dk

3. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I would look at the self-powered JBL PRX series. Killer tone and not too much.

4. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I think around 1,200 watts or so.

5. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

1200 watts!!! Get out of here! No wonder! What amp are you using? Most of those peavey spkr cabs are rated about 200-500 watts@ 8 ohms. Its possible your reading the bridged wattage @ 4 ohms. Which would put it somewhere around hmmm, 300 watts @ 8 ohms. Anyway, peavey sells speakers at peavey.com or at most internet music stores. For cheapy stuff like made in asia, try Parts express. And there is eminence stuff, just google it. Oh, Carvin is bang for the buck stuff. You can get higher wattage stuff for a good price. Their quality is ok at best.

6. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

lol Hey, I'm not a PA guy. I'm trying to learn right now. So Carvin is not the way to go?
    Thanx

7. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

8. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

I 'd recommend replacing the blown speakers in the cabs with JBLs

9. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

Tell me the amp model and speaker model and I'll give you some recommendations.

10. paddywhack

paddywhack Silver Supporting Member

the JBL MRX500 is a very nice PA main...fairly efficient...very lite in weight and capable of handing high power