Padauk wood?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by bubbagomez, Jun 12, 2006.

1. bubbagomez

bubbagomez Member

I recently got a big plank of some great looking padauk wood, I've heard it's used occasionally for guitars. Does anyone have any experience with this wood?

2. Luke

Luke Senior Member

Washburn offered the Nuno Benntencourt N4 made of it.

3. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

It's unusual in that it's as hard as maple, but as oily as rosewood. The tone is similar to maple but a little warmer due to the high oil content. Padauk needs no finish.

4. bubbagomez

bubbagomez Member

I'm glad I snagged some! I've got visions of a padauk tele with a set neck and p-90s dancing in my head!

5. bo13bo

bo13bo Member

6. mdog114

mdog114 Member

I did a Padauk Strat, it's hollow with a a Padauk neck. The Tele below also has a Padauk neck. It's a great wood.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

marytakesadrag likes this.
  7. countandduke

countandduke Member

Yep, Padauk is great wood. I made a bass neck out of it and it's great. Finishes well, easy to work with. But like most exotic wood, the dust can cause allergic reactions in some people. Wear a mask and if you notice a rash.........

Chris

8. rgsss14

rgsss14 Gold Supporting Member

I've found Padauk to be very resonant (have a guitar with a padauk neck). Someone told me with time, however, that that beautiful orangish color can fade to brown.

9. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

Yeah the color does fade. Not much you can do about that other than keep it in its case when not using it and possibly use a uv-inhibiting varnish. Still, it will change.

That said, padauk is a cool wood. Pretty resonant, not all that hard to work with and easy to glue. You should take precautions when working ANY wood. A good dust mask (not one of those comfort masks) will keep you more than safe.

10. stringbendr

stringbendr Member

Padauk is great wood to work with for sure! The best thing about it is how nice it feels with an oil finish, and if you are lucky enough to find a really unusually colored piece all the better.

It is very resonant, and makes for curious overtones.

Here's a picture of a recent semi-hollow guitar we made of padauk and ebony. It's also in a post in manufacturer's section of TGP.

[​IMG]

-Doug

11. Teahead

Teahead Member

I used to own this padauk fuzz pedal, made by Bob Burt and Robert Keeley. It was paired with another in an antique pine enclosure. Both are now in the hands of a buddy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

My son has a Marimba with Padauk tone bars. Very nice sound, second only to South American Rosewood. If the neck/ body had the right shape and mass, I bet it would sound good on a guitar

13. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Does anyone have any before and after pictures of the original color and then the color that it fades too?

14. clsatt

clsatt Member

makes a great fretboard.

15. tdarian

tdarian Gold Supporting Member

Attractive wood. Curious about it's weight and "tonality".

16. jimshine

jimshine Member

It actually darkens. I have a late 70's oiled Charvel that uses it in laminate plies. Under the hardware is the original color which is much lighter. The aged color is significantly darker. It becomes less orange and kind of dark maroon/purple.

17. Souldriver

Souldriver Member

weight is a little bit on the heavier side but not more than maple. a little warmer than maple imho.
    I think of it as an open pore maple that it darker in color and tone. its also pretty hard and takes a while to shape in some cases.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here you can see how it darkens over a year or so. do bear in mind one was in the light the other was in the basement of my house. it darkens and browns, but maintains a red color as well.

18. lavern23

lavern23 Member

Guild used it for neck woods in the 70's. I had a f512 nt that had that wood for the neck and was beautiful.

19. hogy

hogy Member

Padauk smells like chocolate with a hint of cloves when you work it. It's a nice wood.

20. JBG

JBG Member

Padauk is an outstanding wood for necks. I've had my padauk neck/fretboard for about 4 years now and it's still pretty red.