• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

PAF Chirp

wraub

I have seen some references to good PAFs and repros having a "chirp" sound or quality at times, but I'm looking for examples and not finding many I'd call representative.

Anybody here have some examples of this, or is it just one of those internet things? Audio/video clips appreciated.

Mr.Fun

In my experience, pickup chirp is the result of the string hitting the pickup.
Most of the time I’ve dealt with chirp, it’s because someone’s cranked the low output pickup really close to the strings, as you can, and it’s chirping.

Jimmy MAck

I have a feeling that's not what the OP is asking about. I have noticed that some HB'ers do have a sweet little chirp, when picked/attacked in a certain way, a nuanced pick angle brings it out, and driving the amp a bit helps exaggerate it. I have most recently encountered it on my new Epiphone 335 Pro with Alnico Pro HB'ers.

vortexxxx

Silver Supporting Member
Try a pick made with different martial. The chirp is much easier to hear when I use a pick made of bone or some other white horn perhaps. It is part of picking technique as well. The first time I noticed the louder chirp was with a pair of Wagner pickups.

Technique is one of the biggest factors in getting the chirp. Like pinch harmonics, once you get the technique, you realize how easy it is to do.

vortexxxx

Silver Supporting Member
In my experience, pickup chirp is the result of the string hitting the pickup.
Most of the time I’ve dealt with chirp, it’s because someone’s cranked the low output pickup really close to the strings, as you can, and it’s chirping.
I think that is called something else. It's more of a clang sound than a chirp.

GiorgioV

The chirp is not hard to achieve. Most paf style neck humbuckers will have it, as long as they are clear and low wind. Possibly easier with alnico 5 magnets.

It should be evident when playing leads around the 12th fret and dig in.

Also having a clear sounding guitar helps.

Blue Lizard

Yep, there’s definitely a “chirp” that’s not connected to physical contact of string/pick to the pickup. More prominent in PAF types; quite easy to get with the BB2 in the bridge on my LP.

I kinda like it!

Buck Woodson

I've always described the sound my 02 LP Standard with BB Pro's makes into my crunching 79 2203 or 71 1987 when I dig in on the wound strings as chirp. Not a pick squeal, but similar.
BB Pros are underrated pickups. People tend to broadly categorize "burstbuckers" which is sad to lump them in with BB1 and BB2 which I really abhor.

I have a 2014 Les Paul Standard with BB Pros that generally outperforms my custom shop Les Paul with custombuckers.

BADHAK

BB Pros are underrated pickups. People tend to broadly categorize "burstbuckers" which is sad to lump them in with BB1 and BB2 which I really abhor.

I have a 2014 Les Paul Standard with BB Pros that generally outperforms my custom shop Les Paul with custombuckers.
Yeah I like my 02 Standard more than the Historic with Burstbucker 1&2 I had.

David Garner

Platinum Supporting Member
I first heard it in — and attributed it to — unpotted pickups. I can get it on the DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF neck in my 93 LP, though, so it isn’t just that.

The best I can describe it is it’s a high pitched overtone you get when you dig in. It isn’t ever present. And it isn’t exclusive to PAFs — a good Strat neck will do it too. But not all pickups will, so it likely has a lot of factors involved — your rig, volume, attack, etc.

prsjcm

I had a A4 PAF in the bridge of my R0 that always had a yelp to it. I swapped it for a A5 PAF and it solved the issue. I didn't hate the yelping artifact. But it was a constant. So it had to go.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom