PAF clones

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by CocoTone, Mar 24, 2008.

1. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

Who makes the best PAF clone pickup today? I am going to be buying a 335 style guitar, and want that PAF tone, but I aint paying for the real deal. Opinions??

CT.

2. Bussman

Bussman Member

I don't know about "best" because it's all subjective really. Having said that I love WCR's Crossroad set. The neck pickup is to die for IMHO.

3. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Voodoo Humbucker 59s are very nice, but I honestly can't say I'm a huge humbucker connoisseur.

4. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

WCR BetSet are about as real as they get for me. I haven't been able to put my 57 goldtop down since I had them properly installed by RS Guitar Works with thier vintage kit and some other mods. All those classic tones you've been hearing on your favorite albums are now at your finger tips. I never " bonded " with that guitar since I bought it until now. It has surpassed my 64 strat as my #1, it feels and sounds that good.

5. Alpedra

Alpedra Member

So many makers out there... so many tastes to choose. Besides, PAFs vary so much..

Lollar, Jim Rolph, Wolfetone, Tom Holmes, for example, will wind you great PAF-stye Humbuckers

6. hackenfort

hackenfort Supporting Member

Many good ones today. My favorites are still Antiquites and Boggs... In fact I think both sound better to my ear than the one old PAF I have.

7. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

There is no one answer because the PAFs varied greatly themselves due to inconsistent number of windings, etc. There are many boutique PAF pickup models and you will get recommendations for them all stating that each one is the BEST. Call one of the hi-end pickups makers and tell them more about what guitar its for, and what kind of tone you are looking for. That might save you the headache of buying an expensive set and then not liking them so much.

8. KBR

KBR Member

Tom Holme$, Lollar, & Voodoo's, I have used em all.

9. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

Alot out there, I've tried a few and love my WB Hot Paf's with the '67 wire. Other ones I'd consider are more WB's, the WCR Betts Set that sound great, Sheptones, Skatterbranes, Wolfetone, Tom Holmes, Fralins

10. Cussion

Cussion Member

I heard the Skatterbrane pickups and they sounded absolutely wonderful.
    Swedish "Jan Kemi" pickups are also stellar. Did I say DYNAMICS? :dude

11. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    +1
    There's no such thing as "best" when it comes to gear.
    There's just gear that does the job you want/need it to do.

Lots of discussions on this over at the Les Paul Forum with folks who have multiple vintage PAFs bears this out. It really does comes down to taste.

Couple of strategies you might try... figure out your budget, then:

• contact one of great pickup makers out there, and tell them what tones you're looking for (you might mention a few recorded examples) and what guitar/amp you're using. Most of them are quite used to advising customers to get them exactly what they want.
    • hit the Emporium and find a used pair from those same makers and try them out. This route often can take longer, as you might end up trying a few different pickups until you find some that work for you. But you may learn a lot along the way.

Either route can work, it just depends on how much time/money you want to invest.

12. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

But exactly which one can get "the whap-a-dang" thang?

heff

13. Red Suede

Red Suede Member

My benchmark was a 61 dotneck I used to own. When I heard the Tom Holmes pickup, I put them in my Heritage 535 and I was done.

14. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

The tone that would be ideal, is the 335 tone of BB King live at the regal. That is the HB tone in my head.

CT.

15. playon

playon Supporting Member

I've tried a lot of the more expensive clones (and I have some real ones to compare them to) and I thought this guy Smits' stuff was just as good or better, for much less money:

http://www.smitsparts.com/index.htm

And little or no wait time... try them, you won't be sorry. I guess there is a review of them in the Feb Vintage Guitar magazine... I put a pair in an el cheapo guitar and they killed.

16. wilerty

wilerty Member

SD Alnico II Pro ... They work for Slash.

17. DrGonzo

DrGonzo Gold Supporting Member

Wolfetone Dr Vintage :AOK

18. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

+1....I just ordered my second Custom Coil from him - great sounding and constructed pickup, dirt cheap, friendly service!

- Chris

19. CraigSuperLead

CraigSuperLead Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the voodoo '59 pickups. I'm sure the others mentioned are good too, But I've got the '59's and I like 'em.

20. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Fralins
    RS Fralins

Both get my vote.