• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

PAF Humbuckers for Les Paul - What are TGP favorites?

aro

I like Mojotone '59 Clones with Alnico 2.

I haven't played any other PAF clones, boutique or no, but I get to play once in a while two sets of original PAF's from 1959 (one in the original guitar :drool ). A buddy of mine has some nice gear (to put it mildly). I feel like entering a house of worship when going there.

I really like the Mojotone 59s. I am not claiming they sound just like the vintage PAFs, but then the two vintage sets also sound different from each other... The Mojotones really fit well with their older relatives.

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
Fralin Pure PAF's with a 5% underwound neck.
Zhangbuckers: T-bucker neck and Slugbucker bridge; both A4's.
Tom Short Fleetwoods: 5% underwound neck.

beanoboy

My favorite PAF type pickups are by WCR and Sheptone. I have The Crossroads set in my '06 Les Paul and the combo Darkburst/ Crossroads in my PRS SE Custom. Great vintage tones that clean up great. I have a set of Sheptone Dr. Vintage in My '91 PRS Artist. Super musical, almost piano-like. Cleans up real well. I get ALL my tones via my volume ( especially) and tone knobs these days. The only pedal I use is a wah.

Ape Factory

Rewind. Any of them really. JP Pre-72, JP Post-72, low output PAF, very low output PAF...they're all killer and at a lower cost, sometimes substantially lower than many other offerings. Put them up against a lot of different pickups including a popular set out of Europe and a pricey set out of Europe and it wasn't even close. I also hear great things from Electric City Pickps and they did a great job modifying my Gibson Custom Buckers. I'm sure he'd knock it out of the park with his own sets. Bottom line, you don't have to spend $400+ to get a great set of boutique winder pickups made here in the states.
www.re-wind.net
http://www.electriccitypickups.com

halcyon

Of the many I've tried, the stand-outs have been...

Wolfetone Dr. V
Wolfetone Marshallhead (bit hotter)
WCR Crossroads
WCR Godwood (again, a bit hotter)
Fralin Pure PAF
Gibson '57 Classics

I have NOT liked...

Gibson Burstbucker 1/2/Pro
DiMarzio 36th Ann. PAF (okay for $, I guess)
Bare Knuckle Mules
Seymour Duncan '59
Seymour Duncan Seth Lover

Ampedusa

I found a pair of Tom Short/Marc Ford humbuckers on CL and they are definitely keepers but I don't think he winds anymore and I never see them on eBay but if you find some, I highly recommend them.

I'm a big fan of the dimarzio paf 36th anniversary. Great bang for your buck paf. The Slash set is great as is the pearly gates

Binaural

Silver Supporting Member
For me either Duncan or Gibson with magnet swaps. Swapping magnets made me forget boutique humbuckers even exist.

ldizzle

Silver Supporting Member
I like the dr vintage and lollar imperials. But there's a ton more to try!

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
There will be no consensus, nor anything close. Gibson BB2/3 set is nice in my LP. Fralins are great. So are Lollar Low Wind Imperial.

Coldacre

ReWind Electrics.

hands down EASILY the best pickups I've ever used in 32 years of playing. James is the best in the biz. he's the only guy who can make a high output neck PAF ring as clear as a bell.

Roe

There's little consensus. Throbak, Duncan, Lollar, Fralin work well, depending on application

Trending Topics

Top Bottom