Paf Joe vs. Humbucker from Hell

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jtx, Jan 29, 2008.

1. jtx

jtx Member

hello!

im' in the wau to change my neck pu on my ibanez sc620 (mahogany body 25' scale ebony fingerboard wraparound bridge), i'm seeking for a cleaner brighter sound(that will sound good splitted eventually) but not thin and with enough power to couple with the tonezone on bridge.

paf Joe versus humbucker from hell...
    which one do you prefer?why?
    any other suggert?

i will play hard funk (which is hard rock and funk:messedup)

2. Caretaker

Caretaker Supporting Member

PAF PRO is smooth and silky. The Humbucker From Hell is more tele neck like. Can be crisp and very clear, but also ice pick like and annoying, depending on how it`s used.

3. jtx

jtx Member

well...
    thanks for the info,
    but there was an error, it's my fault, i wrote paf pro but i intended paf joe as stated in the title!

so, your opinion is different in this case?
    have you tried the humbucker from hell in splitted mode?

4. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

I have tried both PAF Joe and the HFH in the neck position, on the same guitar.

The HFH is way clearer, more glassy, bitey than the PAF Joe but it doesn't lacks character IMO.

Check out some of the G3 jams with Satch... look out for the songs where he uses a red JS guitar - that's the guitar with PAF Joe in the neck. I think its the G3 with Malmsteen that he uses it... one of the recent ones.

Or if you can't find it... listen to his Live in San Francisco clips on youtube.

He uses a PAF PRO there but imagine the Joe as a gentler, warmer and rounder/sort-of-fatter version of the PAF Pro tone.

The HFH is ridiculously wonderful for shred. The PAF Joe I'd use for genres that demand more expressive playing thru picking dynamics.

5. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

Never tried a PAF Joe but I had a HFH and it was as advertised but for me the attack was too much...it seemed to have a slightly brittle top end. I just ordered an EJ Custom neck which is another DiMarzio humbucker that's supposed to be very clear and bright. We'll see how it sounds. But you might want to consider it (I'm just going on descriptions/reviews here).

6. jtx

jtx Member

well, thanks for the answers,
    so far i can say that the HfH will be the right choice, but i have to ask: is it bassless? i mean is it only a pu that yell but without body/presence?

and second question is: is the HfH good splitted?i'd play it in parallel with tone zone splitted for funkyest rythms..will it be good?

7. jtx

jtx Member

any other opinion?

8. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

I think... due to the fact it IS still a humbucker, the bass response is tighten up to the point where you can easily do shred runs on the bass strings without any fear of flubber/mush/mud/etc.

Anyway, check this guy on youtube - maybe you can get a better idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYWx4w4tM7I

9. jtx

jtx Member

thanks shredcow!

10. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Member

You mentioned that you use a Tone Zone in the bridge. I have a Tone Zone in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck of my Brian Moore i8. Good match, even though the Tone Zone is a bit louder (both pickups adjusted to "my" optimal setting). The guitar is acoustically very bright, almost thin and I needed pickups to compensate for that. The DiMarzio combo achieved that much better than the Seymour Duncan JB (bridge) and AP2N (neck) which they replaced.

11. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

HFH does not split well, IMO. It is a relatively low resistance pup so leaves little to work with, split.
    Mine was bright, for a hb, and has a little bit of sparkle or harshness on top that did not od so well (neck pos'n).
    In no way does it sound like a classic Strat pup. Just a bright hb. Good with fx.

12. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

Just wanted to follow up my post above. I tried the EJ Custom neck in my Les Paul this past weekend. Not a winner for me in that guitar. I expected some 'twang' from the wound strings and it's just the opposite...kinda bassy and...well bassy and not much twang or string definition. The unwound strings sound fine. I didn't like it clean but distorted it actually wasn't too bad. But it doesn't sound Gretsch-y to me at all.

To be fair, just about everything sounds to bassy in the neck on that guitar but this p'up had even less twang than the p'up it replaced. It was a step in the wrong direction on the wound strings.

13. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Interesting result.
    Sure doesn't match the advertised target tone.
    Disconnect all the wirng and clip it straight to the jack to see if you have missed something.

14. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

I'm using pots that measure around 550k and a PIO .015uF tone cap. It doesn't sound 'strange' like I had miswired it or anything and I have no intention of running it with no load so I guess I don't really see the point in hooking it up with no load. The unwound strings sound pretty good with decent sparkle but the wound strings just don't have any twang or string definition. I agree that this is totally contrary to their description...I expected more twang from the wound strings than a typical PAF-type humbucker.

Another thing was that the DiMarzio nickel cover has sharper corners/edges than the Gibson covers and it didn't fit well into the p'up mounting ring...I had to do a little light surgery to the ring to get it to have a non-interference fit. But I went slow with it and it looks un-altered. Kind of a PITA.

15. jtx

jtx Member

well thanks for the report, chickenlover!
    i know what you feel!
    it's very disappointing when a p-up you believed was the right choice turns out to be very bad indeed...

BTW i'm gonna order the HfH and when it will be in the guitar i'll post my report!

16. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

That was just a suggestion to troubleshoot wiring problems that you may have no idea that you created...like a whisker of wire contacting the tone cap, a stray glob of solder etc.

I'm interested as that pup was on my mental should-try list.
    So if it doesn't work as advertised...reject...can you get your cash back?

17. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

I'm pretty sure it was connected properly...output/tone seemed right in the 'nominal' ballpark...it just didn't have the tone I expected on the wound strings.

No...no refund but DiMarzio has a 30-day return policy so I can swap it for another (similarly priced) model. Have no idea what I'll swap it for though.