• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

PAF lovers - which hot humbucker do you like and why?

Ciroxin

Thinking about building a super strat with HSH pickup combo. I would like to retain certain (limited) vintage feel of humbuckers but with hotter output. What would you suggest? I have heard good things about DiMarzio PAF JOE but need more suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

memberzonly

Silver Supporting Member
Like the 36th Anni in most guitars but the Air Classic is my new fave. Not necessarily "hot", per se but has a push on the low end and yet is incredibly even. I find the 36th can be a bit grainy and bright.

Deathmonkey

The two hot 'buckers with a more vintage feel I like are the Smits M14 and the Wolfetone Fenris. If those seem too hot for ya, they both make great pickups in the 10k range as well.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
Suhr SSV is super nice, but likes distortion, not the best for lower gain. It crunches very well. It's the only humbucker to sound really good in my America deluxe strat, I could never remove it to try in my other guitars so YMMV. Gibson 57 Classic + is similar with I'm sure a more LP friendly voicing.

I have an issue with most hot PAFs, they often combine the lack of punch in the bass of high output pickups and lack of high end detail and clearity of low output pickups. I've tried and still own many ... Fralin PAF, Godwood, Mule, Marshallhead, BG Darkbucker, 36th Anni, Tyler Studebaker, many more. I do like Voodoo 57/59 for low output and AT-1 for balls to the walls playing.

Husky

Actually the SSV is dam close to a PAF, killer for lower gain. If you want it a little less output you can use our Neck SSV, same pickup as the bridge but totally PAF style wind.. Or smoother use the DSV

TonyBony

Silver Supporting Member
The Dimarzio Norton is a really nice pickup that sounds like it might fit what you want.

omfg51

I love the Gibson Burstbucker Pros. They are some killer pickups. Super fat and sweet eq frequencies.

RockDC

I've had:
Seymour Duncan Antiquities - Round sound, Very mid range focused, smooth highs, big lows, one EQ usable for all positions

Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers - Same as above but a tad brighter and a little more modern sounding.

Dimarzio 36th Anniversary - Not much in the low end department, EQ for the neck and roll back the tone on the bridge to 8 and you have a great tone that will brighten the darkest of guitars.

My #1 is the Antiquity for Rock and the 36th for Modern Worship.

patentcad

I love the Gibson Burstbucker Pros. They are some killer pickups. Super fat and sweet eq frequencies.
BB Pros do nothing for me. Swapped them out for Fralin Pure PAFs on my LP, prefer the latter.

Tone is uber subjective.

jpage

Duncan Custom 5 and/or WCR Fillmore. Both really 'beef up' a bright rig but retain enough vintage flavor to still be paired with a more traditional wind neck pickup.

jpage

I've had:
Seymour Duncan Antiquities - Round sound, Very mid range focused, smooth highs, big lows, one EQ usable for all positions

Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers - Same as above but a tad brighter and a little more modern sounding.

Dimarzio 36th Anniversary - Not much in the low end department, EQ for the neck and roll back the tone on the bridge to 8 and you have a great tone that will brighten the darkest of guitars.

My #1 is the Antiquity for Rock and the 36th for Modern Worship.
Not sure what Modern Worship is but those pickups are pretty much all the same thing, and far from "hot".

Trending Topics