PAF Pickup Mystery

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tommyg, Jul 2, 2005.

1. tommyg

tommyg Member

I have just uncovered the pickups in my recently purchased 1996 Heritage 150 (Les Paul). The neck pickup has a chrome cover and when I lifted it from the body it said "Gibson USA".

BUT...

...When I lifted the bridge pickup - which is a zebra-type pickup (cream/black; no chrome/nickel cover at all) the bottom of the pickup simply has a small, black, square sticker with a gold border and in tiny gold letters it says "Patent Applied For".

Any idea on the potential origin/maker of this pickup???

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Well if your guitar is a Heritage, as in made by the Heritage guitar company and not the Heritage series of Les Pauls made by Gibson I would have to say those are not the original pups.

3. tommyg

tommyg Member

Nonono....BOTH pickups are obviously replacement pickups.

The Heritage is an amberburst flametop LP. The person who had it before me took it to great lengths to make it "look" like a real Les Paul; even put on a "bell" truss cover.

Since BOTH are replacements, I am questioning the potential authenticity of the bridge pickup. If it was another maker's pickup (DiMarzio, Duncan, Lollar, et al) wouldn't it have a make and/or model number on the bottom (like the neck pup has "Gibson USA")?

4. Scrutinizer

Scrutinizer Member

There's an article on PAF authentication over at the Les Paul Forum. I can't easily link directly to the article, but if you click on the "Hot Rod Shop" link, you will see a link to the article.

5. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

No...not necessarily. There are a few makes out there that have no markings on the bottom. My Lindy Fralin PAF's in zebra come to mind...

6. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Also...you should maybe make yourself a little clearer in what you mean in the future. Until you said bell truss rod cover it still seemed pretty unclear to me what the guitar was.

You said....

The Heritage is an amberburst flametop LP.

Heritage....LP.....um....ok.

7. rooster

rooster Member

Lemme guess... "Only A Gibson Is Good Enough?"
    (original Gibson ad with Slash proudly displaying his Gibson copy, thereby proving that a Gibson is not good enough).

rooster.:p

8. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

Probably a '57 Classic or a Burstbucker, they both have the PAF decals on the bottom.

9. tommyg

tommyg Member

Sorry for any confusion... but I thought I was clear with my opening statement "...my recently purchased 1996 Heritage 150 (Les Paul)."

10. tommyg

tommyg Member

Rooster -

That's why I play Heritage's and NOT Gibsons!:D

I have yet to play a present-day Gibson that can touch either guitar (...and I've had many Gibson's!). Again - My opinion of course...:) :p

11. rooster

rooster Member

Me too. When people who don't know that much about guitars ask me about it, I just tell them it's a REAL Gibson. :D

I'll be getting a second one this year.

rooster.

12. tommyg

tommyg Member

Rooster -

HOLY COW!!!! That EXACTLY what I tell people too!!! I have to give them the Heritage Guitar history and usually their like "you're kidding?!?!":eek:

Obviously - great minds think alike!

:AOK

I had my 535 for 7 years and would never part with it. With this Heritage 150 I know I really own a "Les Paul". I'm just can't wait to put my new HighOrder pickups in them (ordered - now I have to wait 6 weeks. What agony!):D

13. tommyg

tommyg Member

Lex -

Thanks for the info! When I noticed the sticker I actually thought I hit the lottery! Then I realized the pickup was in too "new" condition to be a real PAF.