• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

PAF pickups

defiance

whats the closest pickup to a PAF without the boutique price

might also be interested in a paf with some extra power

shane8

there wasn't even in the 50's a standard paf tone cos there was a huge variation in the # of winds on the things > so ur q can't really be answered

try the new dimarzios :hide

Oakley

I have by no means tried them all - But I've tried all the Duncans, the Classic 57s, Harmoinic Design, and Wolfetone Legends. I like the Seth Lovers best. But I want to try the Wolfetone Dr. Vs too. It's very important to me that it be unpotted.

clay49

Gold Supporting Member
+1 on Jon Moore...others to consider are HighOrder pups, BG Buckers (Bryan Gunsher)...both of these will run you about $70 per pickup...but are everybit as good as those running you $140+ per pickup (I know, I've tried some of the higher dollar boutique boys...Holmes, WCR, Wolfetone, Motor City, White, BareKnuckle). These are all good, but J. Moore, High Order and Byan Gunsher offer the same quality at over half the price...check 'em out.

I've also heard great things about GFS pups, but have yet to try those..they are a real bargain at under $50 for a set :AOK

Rick51

Duncan 59's are really good. Shane88 got a point, though. The original PAF's are not consistent. So don't worry too much about which one's are closest to the originals

testing1two

Platinum Supporting Member
Suhr DSV, Duncan '59, DiMarzio Air Classic...All decent pickups in the same price range with sound clips readily available online.

TRGuy

I really dig Classic 57's, but any PAF replica will get you in the ballpark, SD '59's or similar.

How much do Patent #'s sell for?

codyj84

If youre wanting to stay out of the boutique pricerange, I strongly recommend the ToneRider AC4s.. Very good pickups, esp for the price.

Member "rjhalsey" is a dealer for ToneRider.. He is who I get mine from. Just a heads up...

baumwolle

I got my money on the BurstBuckers; don't quite agree to AMSnell, I think the '59s and the other PAF-like consumer SDs except the 'Seth Lover's don't even come close to PAF territory, they just seem lifeless and boring, no delicious PAF dynamic.

cugel

Silver Supporting Member
you are going to have to go after a small unknown (relatively). like moore or high order. i would not recommend any gibson pickup being currently made. just get a couple of duncans and you will be close enough. if there really was a magical cheap paf it wouldnt be cheap now would it?

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
+++ for Jon Moore - that being said I put a set of Smit's Classic Coils in my Vintage Mahogany and they sound awesome. Don't forget to upgrade the rest of your tone chain - pots, caps, etc.

BobboVisMe

Quality products always command a premium price ! I know the Gent who makes these beauties ! But they aren't cheap !

Bloozcat

Given that you said "PAF without the boutique price...", that limits the field some.

First, you need to seperate the candidates into custom wound/hand guided by formula vs. machine/production wound to a spec.

If we were to say custom wound/hand guided to a particular formula (like boutiques) in say, the $180.00/pr. mark or less I can think of three good ones that fit into that catagory:

Highorder $140.00/set
Jon Moore $180.00/set
Guitarforce $125.00/set*

Of these three, I've never tried the Jon Moore's, but I've heard nothing but good things about them.

I own both the Highorders and the Guitarforce, and both are excellent, but for different reasons. My Highorders are an A3 neck/A4 bridge set that have a sweet early PAF tone.

My Guitarforce pickups are the Lord of the Blues A4 set that are my newest humbuckers. They are to me, the most PAF-like I've tried...but you have to remember that PAF is a somewhat ambiguous term. They sound like a really good PAF the way I hear a PAF in my head. I wanted a set of humbuckers that through the right amps, could do early Bluesbreakers Clapton to Duane Allman Fillmore and a lot of tone in between. They absolutely do it. The reason I have an asterik * after the price is because if you go on E-Bay, you can find an on-running auction for a set of these (or any custom wound Guitarforce set) for $125.00. At that price, they are an absolute steal...

If you're constrained by money, the next tier down is the Tonerider A4 set (below $100.00/set) and then the GFS set(s) (well below $100.00/set). Both give great bang for the buck, and my personal choice between the two would be the Toneriders.

BTW: I have no affiliation with any of these pickup makers...I'm just a gear junkie who's tried a few pickups over the years...:D

billstets

People seem to immediately dismiss the Gibson PAFs. From my experience (which is limited to Gibson, WCR, PRS and SD) they all sound pretty similar. There is a Tonequest report where they state that the Gibson '57 Classic is their favorite PAF, even above the boutique makers. As I understand it, Burstbuckers are the same as the '57 Classics except that the coils are unbalanced, and I also think the aftermarket version is unpotted. Unbalanced should be closer to the real thing.

Anyway it's all subjective, but I don't think you have to spend boutique prices for this.

Trending Topics