PAF Style Pickups for a PRS Standard 24

Any recommendations? I'm thinking Lollar Imperials. I had a set of Tom Holmes in a Custom 24 before, and that was the benchmark tone for me, but I can't shell out $800 for a set now, especially in a plain jane gold Standard with moons...

I want to stay away from Duncan/Dimarzio.

bettset

just got a custom 24 with the 57/08's. been very nice. the dimarzio 36th is a nice neck :munch

I have a friend with an Artist 24.

Jim Wagner wound a Goodwood Plus bridge and a Darkburst for the neck for this guy.

The guitar and the player both sound excellent.

jokerjkny

hmm, lollar and holmes are really different pickups to my ears.

the lollars dont have that upper mid honk/carve of the tom holmes, but rather are thicker with a fatter lower mid. a better option would be the fralin pure pafs. has that carve, and tho not quite as hot, and lacks a bit of lower mid. but the pure pafs will put you in the same ballpark. and frankly, i prefer the cleans of the fralins.

but i do love the lollar regulars in my custom 24. the 2, 4 positions do lack volume, but IME, one of the nicer sounds i've coaxed from that guitar. and fyi, the high winds are just more push and compression.

Ape Factory

What was in there originally?

I love covered 59/09's and just bought a set of DGT's to experiment with as well. Other than that, Re-wind.net has some very nice stuff and I've used the Creme Brûlée set and am really anxious to try his Jimmy Page pickup set in an SC.

jokerjkny

What was in there originally?

I love covered 59/09's and just bought a set of DGT's to experiment with as well. Other than that, Re-wind.net has some very nice stuff and I've used the Creme Brûlée set and am really anxious to try his Jimmy Page pickup set in an SC.
the 57/08 and more aggro 59/09's are in that holmes ballpark and sound great as well. havent spent alot of time, but truth be told, didnt give me the kneejerk reaction of immediately wanting to pull them, which is saying alot for prs pickups.

Ape Factory

Yeah I'm using the 59/09's in two guitars at the moment, including a Gibson semi-hollow and they're quite nice. You can get the uncovered version just about anywhere (so wait for a sale at MF, GC or other big box store) but the covered versions, you have to wait til a used set shows up. The DGT's are a hair hotter still, I'll take readings when I get them in and compare them to the 59/09's I have.

rummy

I recommend Fralin Pure PAF pickups. Also, enjoying WCR Crossroads in a McCarty.

Trending Topics