PAFs in a Shredder Guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by auburn-grad, Jul 16, 2006.

1. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

I purchased a used Hamer Diablo (twin humbucker, shredder) the other day, and let me tell you, I am very impressed with the quality of the guitar......Hamer really knows how to build'em...and you cant beat their prices on the used market.

My question:

I would like to change the pickups and possibly experiment with putting some PAF'ish style pickups in it....I know its a 'shredder', but I would like to tinker with it a little and see what comes out.

Has anyone put PAF style pickups in a thin-bodied, floyd-rose equipped guitar?...if so, what pickups were they?....how did they sound?

2. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

I believe a guy named Eddie Van Halen did. Pretty steller sound if you ask me.:D

3. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

Nothing to say low output PAF style humbuckers can't sound great in anything, including a "shredder." There are two things to consider: output, and microphonics.

Output is a non-issue in my book. I choose pickups for tone rather than how hot they are, and I don't care for the sound of high output pickups. If I want to hit the amp harder, I use a clean boost.

Microphonics are a more difficult issue. A real PAF clone will have no wax potting and that might lead to microphonic squeal if you use your shredder guitar with a lot of distortion & volume (as most do with this sort of guitar). If you're not going to be going crazy with the gain, you're fine, if you are, something wax potted is probably called for. Nothing says you can't wax pot a PAF clone, of course.

I had a Duncan Seth Lover in my Hamer Standard that sounded great with tons of gain as-is. I also wax-potted a Duncan myself (also a Seth Lover, if I remember correctly) and used it in my old GMW strat and also a Kramer with good results. Lower output pickups sound more open, dynamic and uncompressed to my ear.

4. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

I was wondering if any of you had done it and what were your impressions?....

5. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

[​IMG] yup i sure have! took an 89 jackson usa soloist and converted it into a two paf and p-90 tone monster!:RoCkIn

6. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

...thats pretty sharp....what kinda of pickups are in it?

7. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

Steve Vai's JEM guitars used to come with Dimarzio PAF Pros installed. He's since moved on to other things, but the few old Jems I owned sounded really good to me...

8. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

I have Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II's in my Vandenberg. They sound great. Shred guitar doesn't have to equal lousy tone.

9. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Now it's not a shred guitar but my Les Paul Classic's tone was greatly helped out by some Peter Florance/Voodoo Humbucker 59s. Everybody who's heard the guitar want it.

10. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

I just put a '57 Classic PAF in my CS Strat - I sounds awesome.

11. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

That guitar sounds great with the APII's...you know you two have met before right? :D

12. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

...funny....I think I have met both of you....

13. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Supporting Member

duncan now makes trembuckers w/ nickel and gold covers that are potted so there's a world of options.
    if you just mean paf tone, the blues saraceno trembucker is pretty great. it's a low output beefy sounding pickup.

14. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

It's amazing how much more snarl the Vandy has than the LP... even though the construction is very similar. Play both of them, back to back, and the vandy sounds like it'll rip your head off.