PAFs that are great for Metal

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Sensates, Aug 16, 2019.

1. sleewell

sleewell Member

has anyone tried the dimarzio PAF for 7 strings?

2. PatriotBadger

PatriotBadger Member

Another vote for the SD '59. It does the vintage-inspired thing but with more tightness and definition, without the softness or airiness around the attack that can be the hallmark of the best PAFs but cause them to loosen up under higher gain.

lemonman likes this.
  3. ieso

ieso Member

PRS 57/08 or 59/09 (about 10% hotter)

4. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

+100 ... SSV goes up to EVH tones. 57 is more raw/Zeppelin sounding.

Nitrobattery likes this.
  5. Nitrobattery

Nitrobattery Supporting Member

I even use them for all-out metal. They’ll do it all.

6. Dannyz

Dannyz Member

The Gibson 496r/500t kick butt for Metal, even old school metal-ish hard rock ala Motorhead and Priest. It surprised me when i first got my Gibson LP Classic 2002. That set also does Ozzy and more.

For straight up Metal i would get a pair of EMGs like everybody else does.

In your situation, i would get a SD Custom. It does hot PAF tones and metal.

7. LTigh

LTigh Member

^^^THIS^^^

8. Eveningtheme

Eveningtheme Member

It's pretty different that you're using a Strat, that 25.5 " scale IMO makes it very hard to get those three artists tones you listed with a PAF period. A much snappier sound.

I would say a JB is exactly what you're looking for - slightly rolled off highs and lows, which will tame that scale length difference.

9. mertay

mertay Member

Tried it on an ibanez, it uses a ceramic magnet. Not really a PAF tone (bit too modern feeling to call it a PAF) but a versatile choice specially as a neck PU for a 7 string.

sleewell likes this.
  10. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

The new Duncan custom shop Frankenstein.

It’s the first pickup that I have actually bought a second one of. It sounds fantastic!

Mincer likes this.
  11. Sensates

Sensates Member

Wouldn't disagree with you on most fender scale guitars but this one is surprisingly good with Pafs.

Seeing not many people recommended Seth's/antiquities, I assume those will be too microphonic for metal? I tried the Seth neck long time ago, liked it but thought it was limited in versatility, but I didn't had a great amp back then.

Should have mentioned now it has a pair of whole lotta humbuckers, which is good but I prefer more cut and clarity.. Previously it has Dimarzio Vpafs, good too but too polite and fusion sounding. Anything in between a 59 and wlh? Thornbucker could be interesting.

12. sedawkgrep

sedawkgrep Silver Supporting Member

It seems like people mention the JB every now and again when talking about PAF-like pickups. I am always left wondering what they think PAFs are really about because to me, the JB is pretty far away. It’s EQd completely differently, is massively louder/hotter, and doesn’t have the touch sensitivity of a PAF. While not BEING an invader, it’s a lot closer to that than a PAF.

13. Wucan

Wucan Member

I used to have an SG Standard with a 57/57 Plus set, had no problem whatsover dialing in stoner, doomy or black metal type of tones. Probably not as good of a djenter or chugger as some other choices out there though.

dotlikeimpact likes this.
  14. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

I've been nothing but happy with whatever I throw at the '57 Classic in the bridge of my Lester.

dotlikeimpact likes this.
  15. InkStained

InkStained Member

This. The first metal players where using PAFs and Marshalls. And maybe P90s.

16. OldHootOwl

OldHootOwl Member

You took the words right out of my mouth, I opened this thread to recommend Bare Knuckle. The entire company is more or less devoted to old school PAF style pickups used in a metal context. I like the Black Dog for ratty 70's tones and the War Pig for highly saturated, bass heavy doom.

17. agquake

agquake Supporting Member

Don’t sleep on the SD 78 model. Thornbucker is good, too

18. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

Potted PAF-style PUs are fine with metal. Instead of relying on PU output at the front end, you can achieve the same result with a pedalor two, which I find preferable anyway. Potting to deal with volume (and gain) is a good idea, but beyond that, PAFs, boosted, are great for metal.

19. Binaural

Binaural Supporting Member

An SD '59 in the neck and an SD Custom with an A8 magnet swap in the bridge.

20. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

The Seths and Antiquities aren’t potted, which gives them a more open sound but makes them susceptible to squealing at higher gain. YMMV

When I played more high gain music, I really liked the JB in my Les Paul. Its high mids gave me plenty of cut and clarity. It doesn’t sound great on its own, but shines when the rest of the band kicks in.

In other Seymour Duncan pickups, the ‘59 is a great choice (until recently, Mark Morton from Lamb of God used them in his Jackson Dominion), as is the Pearly Gates.

They’re much harder to find (and more expensive) but the PRS David Grissom pickups will deliver the sound you want and then some.