• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Page & Double Necks

ArtDecade

Out of curiosity, how was Page tuning his double neck guitars? Were both necks in standard tuning or did he tune the two necks differently so that he didn't have to switch axes between songs?

Rocco Crocco

The 12-string and 6-string tunings are in standard on "Over the Hills" and "Stairway", so it's a safe bet that they were both tuned to standard pitch. I don't know for a fact, though.

stonem

Silver Supporting Member
The 12-string and 6-string tunings are in standard on "Over the Hills" and "Stairway", so it's a safe bet that they were both tuned to standard pitch. I don't know for a fact, though.
This is my exact understanding as well they were standard tuned but needed the additional 12 string parts.

StevieShiner

I would guess that he had them tuned differently for "The Song Remains the Same" (12 string, standard tuning), then going straight into "The Rain Song" (6 string, non standard tuning).

sgmarshall

My understanding is the reason the rain song is in g on the studio album was the neck of the acoustic couldn't handle the tension, so they tuned it down a while step. I had learned it in standard tuning (talk about playing twister with your fingers), then the live version was in a, I gave up.

Trending Topics