Page Good Times/Bad Times...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ukslinger, Jul 4, 2008.

1. ukslinger

ukslinger Member

How do you guys get that recorded tone? I'm trying to get it through my Germino LV55, but can't get as close as I'd like. What guitar and pedal combo would Ya'll try?

2. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

You'll need a Tele and maybe a tonebender style Fuzz and a cranked low powered amp. That's where I'd start...

3. ukslinger

ukslinger Member

I've recently been trying with a tele with the Lawrence keystone pickups that I just bought from a fellow member. As far as pedals I've been trying either a tubescreamer, sunface, or 200lb fuzz and a holygrail reverb. The cab has 2x12 greenback 25's.

I get close but can't get that big "crushing" tone. Just seems like I'm missing something obvious other that Page's hands, ha ha. The tones I getting are very usable but something seems to be lacking other than just talent.

4. Franktone

Franktone Member

Watch some of Led Zeps earliest clips on youtube where Page is playing a telecaster and check out the equipment that he is using. He seems to get quite close to the sound, to me. Besides that, remember that even Page himself had a hard time getting exactly the same sound when he played live. That's because he was quite innovative in the studio from years of experience with using different microphone placements and combinations of microphones placed at various distances from the amp. He is not only an all around outstanding guitarist, but an artist in the studio. He also mentions that he used many amplifiers in the studio such as: Supro, old Vox AC30, plus probably everything else (Marshall, Orange, HiWatt, Fender...). I believed that the Telecaster was no ordinary Telescaster, and was a gift from Jeff Beck from when they played together in the Yardbirds (it was Beck's good Telecaster). I think I recall Page saying that he used the same Telecaster (maybe into the Supro) for the solo in "Stairway to Heaven", and you know what that sounds like.

5. ukslinger

ukslinger Member

I agree on all of that. I've read about his mic techniques and am kinda trying to mimic that with the holygrail. I think the hardest part is trying to balance the fuzz out to get enough gain but still have the definition. Like trying to get the fuzz to sound more like overdrive and vice versa. Getting the fuzz-gain without all the woofyness.

I get pretty close using the sunface in an almost boost role. The 200 lb sounds great, but doesn't capture a lot of the actual tone. I should also mention that I'm trying this at somewhat low volumes. When I get a chance I'm going to see if I can record it, let it sit, and then listen to it later to see if I'm getting as close as I think I am.

6. Franktone

Franktone Member

Telescasters from the 50's and 60's (also late 40's) varied incredibly in their tone and feel: body wood, neck shape wood and construction, number of windings on pickups and magnets depending on what was available. My first good guitar was a 63 Telecaster given to me by Roger Maine of the Ugly Ducklings in 67. He had spray painted it black so it would look good on TV. My dad and I sanded it down so a local autobody shop could paint it. The incredible thing was that once we got the paint off of it, we noticed that the wood was so soft that it couldn't have been Ash. But the biggest factor with Telecasters is which amp you put it through. They become totally different in a different amp. I haven't listened to Good Times, Bad Times in a very long time, but my guess is that he is not using any kind of distortion and is plugged straight into an amp that works really well with that Telescaster. He is probably using a small amp cranked up fairly high. Distortion devices often remove tone instead of adding it. I use them as a last resort, so I don't have to blow out everyones ears. That could be partly why many people here on TGP are heading to smaller amps. But with a Telescaster, it is important to try many different small amps to get the tone you are looking for. Telescasters also switch their sound depending who is playing it. It is like a horse. The way you hold the guitar, squeeze it, your hand pressure, mass, and touch, all affect a Telecaster probably more than any guitar I have ever seen.

7. mkg

mkg Member

Keep in mind that the guitar sounds on that track would be a bit puny without JPJ's bass booming along with them.
    As far as the amp, wasn't he using a Fender Champ or somesuch?

8. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

A good fuzz will clean up to an overdrive sound when you back off the volume on the guitar. Start by cranking the drive/gain/volume, etc. on the pedal and see what you can get by working the knobs on the guitar.

9. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Supro.

10. jcat

jcat Member

In the days of recording on to tape, mic placement was even more important than it is today. "Distance makes Depth ..."

11. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Bingo. My band does this tune. I don't have a model 1624 but I've got a Magic ZII amp that shares a lot of the same circuitry (and the back end of a Thunderbolt).

[​IMG]

I use a Boss CE-5 with the depth and speed set relatively high; this gets very close to the rotating speaker sound on the solo.

12. mkg

mkg Member

Ah, Supro...thanks.

13. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

As a lifelong Tele fan, with Roy Buchanan/Nancy as the tonal reference point, I want to say that truer words were never spoken.

14. dead mike

dead mike Member

[​IMG]
    top loader tele also. if that makes much difference, i dont know. i thought the amp was a supro coronado? also for the solo hes using a leslie.

15. Franktone

Franktone Member

Thanks 84Bravo. Beautiful Supro Leonc. I bought a vintage bass Supro combo (1x12 I think) but it didn't have that sound, so I let it go. Old Supro's have always been hard to find. Supro electric used to be plentiful in the pawn shops in the 1970's though, not anymore.

16. Franktone

Franktone Member

Nice Tele dead mike.

17. Whamosi

Whamosi Member

As a previous poster mentioned, I think one of the (many) secrets to getting that sound is totally cranking the Supro, then backing off the guitar's volume knob to keep the definition.

18. dead mike

dead mike Member

well i got the Jimmy Page tele, just wish i had the JP hands.

Back to the topic, i think if your going to find the sound it will be by mistake, hardly anything concrete is written on his set ups.

19. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Try recording it on a good reel to reel, you may find that gets you the "Tone".

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  20. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

I'm not hearing the MKII Tonebender on "Good Times". He uses it sparingly on the album. It's not as dominant as it was on the Yardbirds recordings.