• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Page, Knebworth 1979...

shngn7

This is just a guess, but I would think a Vox Wah, Echoplex and a Phase 90. I could be very wrong. Based on what I can hear during that show that's what I'd guess.

re-animator

he pretty much always had a vox wah, echoplex and phaser in the 70s.... at various points though he also brought back a fuzz. Usually something in the MKII family.

thesjkexperienc

^^^ I made this guitar^^^
I think at that time he also had some primitive guitar synthesizer you can hear on his main guitar solo. I have a bunch of bootlegs and it actually sounds terrible lol.

dalandan

Vox Wah
Echoplex
Colorsound Power Driver
Phase 90
Theremin

and hundred watt marshalls on 10. and treble on 10, bass on 3 i think. he likes his treble.

that is my guess. :)

The soundboard tapes of '79 and 80, while of good quality technically, make Page's tone sound like buzzy crap in my opinion.

Back to Knebworth, fairly typical setup for him. Thomas Organ Crybaby --> MXR Phase 90 --> EP3 Echoplex --> Marshall Super Leads which were modded by this point.

There was the Eventide Harmonizer, can't say if he used it on anything other than the noise solo and the In The Evening intro, worth mentioning though. Other than that there is nothing else, no fuzz or distortion/od pedals.

re-animator said:
he pretty much always had a vox wah, echoplex and phaser in the 70s.... at various points though he also brought back a fuzz. Usually something in the MKII family.
The only time a fuzz pedal showed up post '69 was August 1971 at Montreux.

When I met Page in 72 he had a Roger mayer Fuzz,Tonebender thing maybe.It didn't really matter back then to me.And he had a TO Crybaby,I had one too.That was the same time I found out the Orange gear was for the Therimen ..He had a Roger mayer Voodoo Fuzz in his rig until the late 90's..Phase 90 for sure at that time the Maestro was gone by Knebworth..Almost positive he had a Mayer Fuzz at Knebworth also.IT was a fuzz built for Him.

There's no fuzz at Knebworth, listen to it. That's nothing more than a Marshall. Why do so many people think he used fuzz pedals on stage post '69? For one they clearly are not visible, so if he did use one (which he didn't) they were off stage or behind the amps which is silly. Secondly all you have to do is listen to a KT88 loaded Marshall clip and you'll recognize the tone right off the bat. http://www.supload.com/listen?s=MBO8R48UIQTQ

Here's an accurate run down of Page's gear with accurate dates
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=889990&page=1&pp=20

There's no fuzz at Knebworth, listen to it. That's nothing more than a Marshall. Why do so many people think he used fuzz pedals on stage post '69? For one they clearly are not visible, so if he did use one (which he didn't) they were off stage or behind the amps which is silly. Secondly all you have to do is listen to a KT88 loaded Marshall clip and you'll recognize the tone right off the bat. http://www.supload.com/listen?s=MBO8R48UIQTQ

Here's an accurate run down of Page's gear with accurate dates
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=889990&page=1&pp=20
Check out your own pictures in your link Montreux 71.That is a fuzz and it is post 69. And don't call me a liar.It was actually sept 71 when I met him.They played two nights.I know he had a fuzz on stage.Maybe not both nights,but I was on the stage the first.Sat behind Bonham during his 30+ minute solo.They Opened with Immigrant song and played a new song called Stairway to heaven.I actually had tapes of both shows.I purchased a Violin Bow at Thayers music the following Monday.I do not know about Knebworth I was not there.All I can do is read what someone else says about it.

First off I'm the one that wrote that entire article in the link. Secondly I clearly said the only time a fuzz showed up on stage post '69 was at Montreux in August '71, check my first post in this thread.

Interesting thing about the Tonebender at Montreux though is if you look closely at the photo from the 7th, what should be the volume knob on the Tonebender appears to be rolled down the whole way. His tone on the recording from the 7th sounds quite true to his Hiwatts in my opinion. No recording from the 8th has surfaced yet.

I think the Montreux pics are clear proof though that if he was using something like a fuzz pedal he kept it out on stage and in view. Why he brought the Tonebender back out on stage for that brief period I don't know yet, possibly had it modded and was trying something new. I have no doubt in my mind that once he switched to Marshalls fulltime in '72 that's all he used live and there are hundreds of stage shots from '72 and on and he has nothing more than a wah, echoplex and then eventually the phaser.

First off I'm the one that wrote that entire article in the link. Secondly I clearly said the only time a fuzz showed up on stage post '69 was at Montreux in August '71, check my first post in this thread.

Interesting thing about the Tonebender at Montreux though is if you look closely at the photo from the 7th, what should be the volume knob on the Tonebender appears to be rolled down the whole way. His tone on the recording from the 7th sounds quite true to his Hiwatts in my opinion. No recording from the 8th has surfaced yet.

I think the Montreux pics are clear proof though that if he was using something like a fuzz pedal he kept it out on stage and in view. Why he brought the Tonebender back out on stage for that brief period I don't know yet, possibly had it modded and was trying something new. I have no doubt in my mind that once he switched to Marshalls fulltime in '72 that's all he used live and there are hundreds of stage shots from '72 and on and he has nothing more than a wah, echoplex and then eventually the phaser.
I agree with you.If you look at your 71 Hawaii photo you see he is using a Jen crybaby. He also had the TO.Wahs were finicky as were fuzz pedals. Lord knows what that man used and didn't use at one time or another like most that were constantly looking for a new sound.He sounded like God in Hawaii.The whole band was on Weird that my minds eye can't remember the beard.;).I took friends to see TSRTS years later and paid their way wanting to share Zep live/visual with them. I was embarrassed. I am blessed to have seen them when I did.Thanks for all the great photos.

Trending Topics